Why become a member? ×

PJ bass

handman

Looking for some advice I recently fitted p bass pick up to my jazz bass(entwistle pbxn and jbxn). After wiring it all up and giving it a test run the could only be best described as disappointing 😩 muddy no treble and vol and tone controls only at the extreme of there travel, what have I done wrong ? , should have sounded great but it's just rubbish😱, HELP!!!

[quote name='handman' timestamp='1431972746' post='2776820']
Looking for some advice I recently fitted p bass pick up to my jazz bass(entwistle pbxn and jbxn). After wiring it all up and giving it a test run the could only be best described as disappointing muddy no treble and vol and tone controls only at the extreme of there travel, what have I done wrong ? , should have sounded great but it's just rubbish, HELP!!!
[/quote]

Pics? I think it might help if you had pictures of the wiring & pots.

If I was having this issue I'd first try to eliminate variables. Have you tested the pickups impedance/resistance? putting an ohm-meter across the pickup (a multimeter in reality) should tell you if it's giving sensible values (like 5 - 12 K ohms, depending on the pickup).

What I did was just remove the j neck pick up and replaced it with the p pick up ,there are only two wires, black to ground and white to front volume pot, I will bring a multimeter home tomorrow and check the resistance, pick is new so hopefully they should be OK but no harm in checking as you never know for sure, I'm wonder if I have to change the pot or resister ? Don't really know it all seemed straight forward, oh well I do like a bit of a mission.

The pickup is probably OK, but you never know for sure till you hear it picking up a string.

When you mention the P pickup - the PBXN . . . it's a split coil pickup like this:
Each half should have it's own pair of wires. If you look up wiring diagrams for a PJ guitar with the same control layout as yours you should be able to compare your wiring to the diagram. Should help identify any mistakes if there are any.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1431978317' post='2776950']

Each half should have it's own pair of wires.
[/quote]

I've never found a P pup with more than 2 wires. They normally have one half wired into the other.

Edited by Grangur

That is exactly how I have wired in the p pick up,maybe just not use to the sound.As a test I reinstalled the j neck pick everything seems to be working as normal, sound has a lot more presents and more importantly there is a lot more adjustment available in volume and tone controls, with the p pick up fitted nothing happened these controls until the 20% of their travel, very strange.As far as the jbxn are concerned I think they exceptional value for money and because they so cheap it's a no brained to give them a go, I think you will be pleasantly surprised

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1431980942' post='2777002']
I've never found a P pup with more than 2 wires. They normally have one half wired into the other.

[/quote]

Quite right - just goes to show how many split coil pickups I've soldered! Well not any from a box, only swapped between instruments. Makes sense that the wires connected to the pickups directly would be done from the factory / workshop - saves someone overheating the pretty sensitive coil wires.

Check the pick up early on, 8.45k ohm's that seems OK,really strange. Quite disappointed but like most thing in life , it always a great plan when you first start it, anyway birthday coming up soon could just treat myself to a cheap precision special but saying that those sire v7 are looking very tempting.

Try just wiring the P pickup to the jack socket and see how it sounds.

There might be a problem with the control wiring scheme rather than a problem with the pickup itself - passive VVT controls are notorious for the pickups interacting with each other, and you might need to use resistors to prevent this happening or consider using a selector switch or blend pot along with a single volume and tone control. Also possible that the P pup is out of phase with the J pup.

Just be methodical and eliminate one potential issue at a time, and remember that KiOgon of this forum is probably the best person to ask for an expert opinion.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1432109444' post='2778130']
Try just wiring the P pickup to the jack socket and see how it sounds.....

....Just be methodical and eliminate one potential issue at a time, and remember that KiOgon of this forum is probably the best person to ask for an expert opinion.
[/quote]

Definitely try this.
I've got 2 P/J basses, and I love the sound, and the flexibility the arrangement gives you

I recently heard a cheap P copy, fitted with an Entwistle pickup - sounded great
But maybe you have a faulty one?

Good luck in getting to the root of the problem
Once it's sorted, you won't look back :)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1432110719' post='2778157']

Definitely try this.
I've got 2 P/J basses, and I love the sound, and the flexibility the arrangement gives you

I recently heard a cheap P copy, fitted with an Entwistle pickup - sounded great
But maybe you have a faulty one?

Good luck in getting to the root of the problem
Once it's sorted, you won't look back :)
[/quote]

[quote name='handman' timestamp='1431987969' post='2777110']
That is exactly how I have wired in the p pick up,maybe just not use to the sound.As a test I reinstalled the j neck pick everything seems to be working as normal, sound has a lot more presents and more importantly there is a lot more adjustment available in volume and tone controls, with the p pick up fitted nothing happened these controls until the 20% of their travel, very strange.As far as the jbxn are concerned I think they exceptional value for money and because they so cheap it's a no brained to give them a go, I think you will be pleasantly surprised
[/quote]

Subsonic is right about testing the pickup by connecting it straight to the Jack. Entwistle pickups have adjustable screws on the top. These affect the magnetic fields. If you have no treble try winding the screws so they come to the top surface of the pup or slightly proud.

If the pup works when connected to the Jack then it is as I suspect, that you've wired the tone control wrong. Perhaps if you can post a picture of the wiring we can help you.

You say all the control is up one end of the turn of the pots. This is because the pot is designed as a logarithmic scale. You could try changing it for a linear pot.

Maybe linear pot might be the answer the only thing I find a bit confusing is everything works OK with the jazz pick up in the neck position and as far as wiring is concerned all I have done is remove the j and replaced it with the p. I will connect the p straight to the output jack to see how it sound's if that's OK then I don't know what to do next. Resistor's have been mentioned but I think more research is needed on that front.

[quote name='handman' timestamp='1431987969' post='2777110']
[/quote]

The PBXN on its own is not muddy at all. I put one on a Squier of mine and I'm amazed at the output of this thing... Very punchy, lots of treble if I want it (I roll down the volume a bit), I love that pickup... I hope you figure out the problem! Sorry I cannot help.