Why become a member? ×

COG / Wren & Cuff / Xotic Sound Clips :)

GazWills

Thanks to some recent purchases, and a very kind loan from Tom @ COG, I currently have a nice little collection of dirt pedals in the flat. And a day off today. And a ZOOM recorder... so thought I'd do some sound clips in case anyone is interested in comparisons between these pedals...

We have an Xotic BB bass preamp, COG Knightfall (stock, with snazzy Archer etching), TK-421-x (modded RAT) and two very nice muffs, a Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian and a COG Grand Tarkin (thanks for the loan Tom!):

Recorded through a US P bass (2011) into my old Bassman 135 and Marshall 1935, recorded with a ZOOM H2. Sadly, still at respectable volume levels, as annoyingly the neighbours are in, but hopefully loud enough that the character of the pedals comes through!!

I don't have a looper, but equally didn't want to just pick a riff and repeat it endlessly. So instead there is 2-3 mins of noodling with each pedal (no apologies for the playing, but both I and the amp could probably have warmed up a bit more!)... I think this shows the character of the pedals better anyway, as you find yourself playing more what the pedal inspires you to do (e.g. Tall Font... DOOM)

No processing or EQ tweaking or anything, just the mp3's from the ZOOM imported via garageband and a 23 minute jam chopped up into little clips covering each of the pedals. Generally, there is one sound setting for each pedal, which is my favourite setting, though I did light and heavy clips for the Knightfall, as it's a versatile little chap! I recorded a couple of them again (TK-421x and Knightfall), as either the volumes on the pedals were low when I did the first recordings, or the amp wasn't warmed up, but they sounded a little quiet / tame. The second clips sorted that, but all clips uploaded :)

These are uploaded as a soundcloud playlist - hopefully it works OK, as I've not tried doing this before!

[url="https://soundcloud.com/gazthefink/sets/basschat-dirt-pedals-comparison"]https://soundcloud.c...dals-comparison[/url]

Edited by GazWills

make sure you plug in a decent set of headphones, it's the only way you can appreciate the ludicrous bass levels from the tall font ;)

also, if anyone knows how to embed a soundcloud playlist player into a post, please chime in!! couldn't get it to work...

Edited by GazWills

Great stuff Gaz! :-) Have you tried stacking the Knightfall yet? It works so well!

I have my Knightfall 66 on lowish gain (about 10 o'clock) going into the TFR full gain, tone around 2 o'clock (the 'default' setting from experience!...). Gives the TFR the top end that it's lacking IMO! Also works well going into the TK-421, low gain also (9-10 o'clock) to give it a nice boost! :-)

hey man - yes, tried exactly that, low gain knightfall into TK-421 and 'stock' TFR sounds immense :)

knightfall is everything I hoped it would be, but also highlights how badass the TK-421x is!!

I liked the grand tarkin, but it just didn't have that 'something' that the TFR has...

ha - yes yes and yes. TFR is pretty magical!

Just back from my first practise with the Knightfall, and it really doesn't disappoint - can't recommend the Knightfall or the TK-421x highly enough - those two with the TFR makes for a great dirt pedalboard lineup :)

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1432071828' post='2777966']
Just back from my first practise with the Knightfall, and it really doesn't disappoint - can't recommend the Knightfall or the TK-421x highly enough - those two with the TFR makes for a great dirt pedalboard lineup :)
[/quote]

It really is mate. If a subby fuzz, RAT-alike and OCD-alike setup's good enough for Brian Cook, then it's good enough for me! ;)

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1432133134' post='2778463']
It really is mate. If a subby fuzz, RAT-alike and OCD-alike setup's good enough for Brian Cook, then it's good enough for me! ;)
[/quote]

yeah, that was the inspiration behind buying the knightfall!!