Why become a member? ×

Do I need a crossover?

I have Hartke 1 x 15" and 2 x 10" cabs together in a stack with an EBS head and am relatively happy with my sound.

My engineer friend has pointed out there is no crossover device sending the highs or lows to the relevant cabs. How much of a difference is there likely to be if I have a crossover fitted?

Would it help in getting the high notes to zing out a bit more, if so, I may try it. Any opinions? Thanks.

Edited by John Cellario

Crossovers are essentially for separating the signal towards elements that would otherwise not be happy to receive the full spectrum. Notable, but not exclusively, this would be tweeters and other mid or high frequency elements that don't like big, fat, bass. Your two cabs are fully capable of supporting the whole range of tones produced by your bass and amp, and won't suffer from being fed the lot. Not quite the same for hifi, or PA elements, but for a bass rig such as yours, full range will do no harm and a crossover won't be an enormous benefit. The sound could change slightly, maybe for the worse..? I'd run the rig 'as is' and enjoy...
Hope this helps, subject to correction, completion or contradiction from others.

Edited by Dad3353

I presume the idea is to treat the 1x15 as a sub. I understand the argument (and it [i]would[/i] work, albeit at the cost of some more equipment to lug around), but like JTUK I don't really see the point for the vast majority of players; and let's face it, how many people are going to notice - really?

Also, doing this would change the sound balance of your rig as you would no longer be getting any contribution from the 1x15 above the (very, very low) cutoff frequency. Potentially quite a lot of time and money to discover you don't like the sound any more... :unsure:

[quote name='John Cellario' timestamp='1431794691' post='2775098']...
My engineer friend has pointed out there is no crossover device sending the highs or lows to the relevant cabs...
[/quote]

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1431797610' post='2775130']
I presume the idea is to treat the 1x15 as a sub...
[/quote]

Yes, it sounds as if your buddy imagines that 2 x 10s are for mid/highs, and 1 x 15s for lows. That's not really the case, so his conclusion is erroneous. Both cabs work best receiving full whack. Thank the bloke and play on, I say. :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1431847591' post='2775425']
Your 'engineer' is talking out of his bass port.
[/quote][quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1431847591' post='2775425']
Your 'engineer' is talking out of his bass port.
[/quote]

Hahahaha. Excellent. :lol:

Frank.

In the good old days it was a great idea to have one amp feed a 2x10 cab and another amp feed a 2x15 to ensure the speakers only recieved the range they were designed for however that was when bass speakers were nowhere near as solid and reliable as the modern speaker.
I've ran that set up with a Roland pre-amp into 2off Matamp tube power amps and it was pretty awesome. The 10's back then struggled to take the lows at volume and i always loved the punch of the 10's back then but they were constantly blowing when run at gigging volumes so decided on the set up above. Worked a treat for me back then but it was a helluva lot to lug about to every gig.
Nowadays speakers are more than capable of matching your amp whether its a 10, 12 or 15.
Stick with what you like and already have.
Apart from PA systems i don't think i know of any bassist using a x-over these days.

Dave