Why become a member? ×

Songs you discovered you can actually play!

Roger2611

In answer to recent threads about song we hate playing a bit of an oppersite thread.....I have always loved The Blockheads but always thought the bass lines were way too hard to play, anyway I found myself at a loose end earlier this week and decided to have a bash at "What a Waste" fifteen minutes later I am happily playing along with the song....chuffed or what!

Anyway I am off to "hit something with a rhythm stick now" (although that one doesn't sound as if will be an easy learn)

I finally got rhythm stick on Friday. The verse always threw me but I found one of Scott Whitley's youtube videos and he taught it
in such a way that it has actually stuck. He picks the line apart and takes his time teaching it, very much recommend the vid.

The tutorials were only about forty minutes, it took my feeble brain nearly five hours, it was 2am by the time I'd gotten it! I'm still
chuffed two days later :blush:

Edited by Subbeh

I can play "Hit Me...", but I'm about 5 BPM too slow. I've tried, but it's gonna take me a good bit more practice to get there.
I found out that I can play Nutbush City Limits last week.
Listened to the Jo & Beth version, picked up my bass & played along. I started singing along too, but both my cats started clawing at me.

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='ChunkyMunky' timestamp='1431806963' post='2775247']
I had that when I first transcribed 'Rio' by Duran Duran. This was a couple of years back and I had just started properly but I got into it, half an hour on 50% speed and carried on. Got it within an hour after that. :)
[/quote]

I love playing JTs lines, Planet Earth , Rio , Girls on Film etc, all great fun

Gomg through a bit of Blues-that-doesn't-just-stick-to-a-i-IV-V phase at the moment... pleasantly surprised to be able to busk my way through Sam Cooke's 'Another Saturday Night' and Peter Green's 'Jumping at Shadows' after only a couple of fumbling run-throughs. Next targets are 'Ain't Nobody's Business' & 'Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out'.

Even though it's not really a bass on the record, I recently found I could play Two Tribes by Frankie Goes to Hollywood with fairly little practice.
A couple watches of Trevor Horn playing it on Youtube and i'd pretty much got it down.

It was one of those "Maybe I have actually improved" moments! :happy:

Only in the last few weeks have I actually learned how to play UFO's "Only You Can Rock Me", after it being suggested by a bandmate. This after it probably being one of my favourite songs for over 30 years. Just never bothered to learn it before.

It's actually rather a fun line to play, up and down the neck like a pleasantly relaxed yo-yo - plus I figured out the keyboard breakdown bit up around my 12th fret or so, seeing as we haven't got any keyboards. :)