Why become a member? ×

Too Many Notes.

bubinga5

Its difficult for me to knock anyones playing, and i post with the best intentions , especially when someone is so technically proficiant as this guy. but its worth posting i think, and I'm sure other bassists will recognise this.

Im in no way the oracle when it comes to playing, but i know good playing when i hear it. i heard this blind, thinking it was Francis Hylton. and thought blimey, he's throwing those notes in there. his timing is off, but realised it wasn't Francis.

i think this is a good example, of why you should be a little more laid back and put in the fills when the music calls for it. its only my opinion and the guy is a great player in certain aspects.. but the balance between musical knowledge/technique/taste, is sometimes the hardest to master. its like me playing Reggae, god awful.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKYhwMFyWao&index=4&list=FLzVUqeF1SLjxa78y2gd03dQ[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

Lemmy once said of Level 42 that they were a great band and they'd sound even better with a bass player. Which I take to mean that there needs to be someone just holding the song together, and if the bassist is all over the neck doing constant solos, it leaves a hole.

I'd agree with the OP in this case; the (superbly played) bassline is very driving, very Francis Rocco Prestia, but to me the song's groove is softer and more spacious than the bassline would suggest.

Edit: listened again, and I think that the above still applies in the verses, but the chorus' have a different 'straighter' groove that is better matched with that bass playing

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1431761947' post='2774637']
I think it is spot on. Matches the songs grove perfectly.
[/quote]not so spot on when he's hitting the right note but on on the wrong time/drums at the start. intricate bass playing over a Key's solo.? its too much. give other musicians some space. he's not listening to the drummer either in parts. just my OP

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1431763790' post='2774668']
not so spot on when he's hitting the right note but on on the wrong time/drums at the start. i like to follow my side man when it comes to the rhythm section. intricate bass playing over a Key's solo.? its too much. give other musicians some space. he's not listening to the drummer either in parts. just my OP
[/quote]

You should record a battle video of you doing the song post it to Youtube and show him who is boss.

Good playing and it sounds fine to me.

It's just one of those busy numbers that some people like.

I'm not really a fan of this style, I prefer more laid back playing but what this guy's doing this works in the context of this number.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1431765509' post='2774685']
You should record a battle video of you doing the song post it to Youtube and show him who is boss.
[/quote]it was just an observation. maybe save the sarcasm for some other chump... i was just pointing out some something that Thurbs might not have heard. maybe i should have worded it better.

I think the guy is ripping it as per the original..
and the fact that it is up front in the vid mix
can depict as 'busy'...but that is the nature of the
line and the fact that he has decided to highlight with
his sound.
I'd suggest the original track was mixed bown a tad re the bass...

So, as with all these things, it is a snapshot demo...
If he has played it well, or not...I think he must be happy enough to
put it up there..??

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1431766649' post='2774704']
it was just an observation. maybe save the sarcasm for some other chump... i was just pointing out some something that Thurbs might not have heard. maybe i should have worded it better.
[/quote]

Come on man, you put yourself out there with this thread in the same way he put himself out there with his video. I was trying to be light hearted about it but I have to be honest the post I quoted made me feel a little uncomfortable and sad. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone.

I get bored of this genre quite quickly nowadays. I used to be quite into it, but after a while all these bands sound exactly the same. The songs sound the same, the sound of the group, etc. It's just a bit formulaic. It could be Jamiroquai, Incognito etc etc. Just with a different vocalist.....who all sing the same kind of melodies. I kind of feel the same about reggae.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1431772450' post='2774786']
i get bored of country and western. doesn't mean i can't find something inspirational about the music with new artists.. that attitude says more about the person than the music.
[/quote]

Who's saying that?

Am i not allowed to get bored easily by hearing the same kind of thing over and over!

If something inspirational is in there then you'll pick it up. It depend on what inspires you really.

With regards to attitude saying something about the person........ well your post says a lot!

Plus you're criticising a guys playing and just expressing himself in the vid! What does that say with regards to person rather than the music!

Edited by Lord Sausage

Yep, I heard it all the first time around with these bands above mentioned,
and indeed liked, and was into them. But I easily lose interest in them these days.

Strangely enough, I will still listen regularly to Tower of Power,
more than likely because I liked the tunes more, not to mention
the superb brass and woodwind section writing.

I think the guy in the OP video plays the track well, he is just jamming along
and does a good job (IMO of course).
Certainly heard a lot worse.

Edited by lowdown