Why become a member? ×

Bass for a beginner living in a damp cottage...

BobG

About seven years back I started to learn to play guitar on a Burns Marquee. I quickly progressed to learning a whole 3 chords then I had an accident which damaged my left wrist (I'm right handed). Healing was a slow process so I sold my kit.
I now wish to start to learn the bass and was wondering if there are any beginner basses that are suitable for a chap with a weakened wrist who lives in a damp cottage which enjoys rapidly changing temperatures and humidities. My Marquee held its tuning quite well in such circumstances but was wondering if the longer neck of a bass would make it more vulnerable to the changing microclimates inside my house!

Thanks in advance

Bob.

N.B. my prefered music styles are rock/heavy/blues/punk.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbp90bk_shortscale_ebass.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbp90bk_shortscale_ebass.htm[/url]

£55 plus £8 postage, nice narrow neck, lightweight and if you got a hard case, fit it with one of those £1 shop dehumidifiers? If it warps it will have cost you less than a tank of petrol, Keep your eyes peeled for the decos and you may get one for around a £10!

+1 to the short & medium scale suggestions.

Just like someone with particular weight requirements (in a bass that is . . .) - you'll have to be considerate of your limitations when selecting a bass.

your best bet is to have a feel (of a bass that is) and see how it feels standing and sitting.
As a beginner I'd suggest a fairly budget bass. 2 pickups is ideal for flexibility of tone - but if you find one with 1 or 3 that you like, don't let that stop you. If it sounds good - it is good!
When it comes to humidity - A sealed finish should do better than an unsealed finish. I'd imagine a semi acoustic bass with F-holes and unsealed wood inside it will suffer a lot more with humidity shifts than a solid body instrument with intact solid finish. Another concern would be the neck - An unsealed neck or fretboard could cause issues. Unless someone has removed the finish on the back of the neck this will probably not be an issue. Unfinished fretboards like rosewood or ebony are usually woods with a lot of natural oils and resins that can tolerate humidity a lot better than say unfinished maple or pine.

If it was me - I'd take a look at some well regarded basses with short or medium scales - like the ibanez mikro: