Why become a member? ×

Country bass!!

uk_lefty

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1431961880' post='2776633']
Brad Paisley's 'This Is Country Music' makes apt of mentioning a Fender Precision Bass. Normally his bass player uses a Crook bass though:

[/quote]

I like the occasional bit of sparkle but that is one clown whore of a bass!

The OP seems to have gone to sleep. And we still don't know what he wants to play.

This is what I think of as Country these days (as opposed to the[i] and Western[/i] type).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vulqnx4S7p4

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1431960695' post='2776615']

I don't think they're making them any more. They never reply to emails, anyway.

Palm muting works for me.
[/quote]

Dang. They say on the website that they will be at the London Bass Guitar Show 2015 a few months back, so I thought that they might be back up and running but a little behind on updating the site.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1431985052' post='2777070']
The OP seems to have gone to sleep. And we still don't know what he wants to play.

This is what I think of as Country these days (as opposed to the[i] and Western[/i] type).

[/quote]

There you go - all you need is a Pedulla Rapture five string 😆

Apologies for the snoozing, I had an exam to prepare for this week and this website doesn't help with revision :)
Having now heard the band I'm incredibly relieved they're looking for a singer as well as a bassist. The singer sounds, in my girlfriends opinion, like Kermit the Frog. Now she's said that I just can't get it out of my head and thoughts of playing bass lines to "it ain't easy being green" and "froggy went a courting" is all I can think of, with Miss Piggy dressed as Dolly Parton on backing vox. All in all I'll be down there with my P Bass with a dish sponge lodged under the strings near the bridge. Steve Harris pups, Steve Harris flats, trace rig, isn't traditional country but with a bit of eq tweaking I reckon I can get the traditional sound.
Thanks for all the inputs, P bass seems the winner, and while I've always thought fret less could do a job on country my 80s hair-metal styled Kramer fret less may not make an appearance :)
Thank you kindly
I'll keep you informed of how I get on with Kermit

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1431985052' post='2777070']

[/quote]

Looks like I'm late to the party, but I'll stick my belated 2p in: P-Bass... but you knew that already.

I too tried a Fretwrap and while it is good for stopping unwanted sustain, overtones and resonance on open strings (always handy) it's no good at all for 'that' country/soul sound on fretted notes, where it does nothing. It also hampers fingering at the first fret.

The traditional 'old bit of foam' shoved under the strings at the bridge is hard to beat - I do this as my fingerstyle technique leaves something to be desired - I pretty much automatically palm mute when using a pick, so it's not an issue then.

Edited by discreet

I used a sponge from a supermarket pack of dish washing sponges under my strings as an experiment and it seems to do the job quite well on the P Bass, no point putting it on the Jazz. I don't often play with a pick, used to for playing faster than I could with my fingers on a couple of songs way back when, but will give it a go for this occasion.
May also ask Kermit if he wants me to audition vocals as well as bass... Reckon I could do a great hum through "walk the line" and less likely to sound like an actual Muppet

I'm late to the party to. Don't disagree with what's been said and I actually play in a country band! Have a look a the Fender/Squire Cabronita - a stripped down P Bass with Gretch style pick up! What could be more country than that? Also like the idea of the Cow Poke some one mentioned.

Depending on the band - sparkly finish, LED's, and a sequined strap may all be very appropriate. Probably not.

Play it by ear - I'd be looking for all the classic country sounds - deep, tic tack, and and a more open, balanced tone for everything else. You may want to use an active bass / preamp and roundwound strings for some songs. I'd definitely want to look at muting (as you've already mentioned with the foam) and finger and pick styles.

Here's a vid about muting I found very useful: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP76f4XtlWk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP76f4XtlWk[/url]

As a card carrying member of the Nashville Musicians Association and an old studio cat, of course anything Fender-like works. Mostly with P pickup. Flats arent as big or needed as in the old days. New country has a lot of 5 strings, especially live, but again, mostly Fender shaped objects.

Any reasonable quality cheap P style will do. Squier would be the obvious choice. I would upgrade the puckup to a nice vintage style one though.

The other option is a Danelectro longhorn strung with flats. Surprisingly good at vintage country tone and you can squeeze tic-tac out of it as well.

• 2 weeks later...