Why become a member? ×

Alice Cooper (band)

spectoremg

[attachment=192035:Denis Dunaway.jpeg]
There I was whiling away my early teens with those rather well behaved glam rock types when School's Out disintegrated my radio!
Then they were on TOTP and I thought THANK YOU AMERICA! Alice Cooper with that skinny guy who'd stuck shiny stuff all over his bass, in colour was the coolest thing a thirteen-year-old Brummie had ever seen.
Birmingham was still in black and white in 1972.

Edited by spectoremg

I love Alice Cooper, seen him many times and he never fails to deliver.

But there is something about those early albums that make me wish I could have seen the Alice Cooper band live. From the Inside, and Billion Dollar Babies, are still 2 of my fave albums.

Ah yes, Dennis Dunaway - I liked his bass playing; he co-wrote several hits including 'School's Out'. And to think that Leo Abse tried to ban Alice Cooper from appearing in the UK because of Cooper's "culture of the concentration camp," and "his incitement to infanticide and his commercial exploitation of masochism is evidently an attempt to teach our children to find their destiny in hate, not in love."

Here's the band appearing on TOTP in 1972...

http://youtu.be/VBEcLxnXVAc

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1431639122' post='2773614']
Ah yes, Dennis Dunaway - I liked his bass playing; he co-wrote several hits including 'School's Out'.
[/quote]

+1

Great bass player, one of my earliest influences..

His bass lines are so distinctive on the first few Alice Cooper albums, they almost define the songs..

And I agree with the OP; his jazz bass was very 'bling' for it's time!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1431647991' post='2773697']

+1

Great bass player, one of my earliest influences..

His bass lines are so distinctive on the first few Alice Cooper albums, they almost define the songs..

And I agree with the OP; his jazz bass was very 'bling' for it's time!
[/quote]
You said everything I was gonna say ;)

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1250048087/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=001PG7GR2CQ1Y07H6XWA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294"]Uncle Dennis has a book out soon.[/url]

Very much looking forward to this. DD was one of my biggest formative influences & I still love his playing. The original Alice Cooper group was utterly unique.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1431713576' post='2774312']
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1250048087/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=001PG7GR2CQ1Y07H6XWA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294"]Uncle Dennis has a book out soon.[/url]

Very much looking forward to this. DD was one of my biggest formative influences & I still love his playing. The original Alice Cooper group was utterly unique.

Jon.
[/quote]That's the word - unique!

I quite liked Alice Cooper back in the day, but was never a huge fan. So I didn't know anything about his band. Driving along recently some Alice track came on the radio and I was struck by how great the bass playing was! So, Dennis Dunnaway, eh? One lives and learns! :-)

I admire Alice for his showmanship, style and staying power. But I don't rate him much as a DJ. He has a show on Planet Rock. I find his presenting style annoying and choice of music predictable (if it is indeed he who chooses it)/

Compare to Iggy Pop on Radio 6, who is great!!

(all opinions are the author's own and not intended to be presented as facts etc etc etc) :D

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1431638546' post='2773607']
I love Alice Cooper, seen him many times and he never fails to deliver.

But there is something about those early albums that make me wish I could have seen the Alice Cooper band live. From the Inside, and Billion Dollar Babies, are still 2 of my fave albums.
[/quote]

To be pedantic, From the Inside wasn't the original Alice Cooper band, Muscle of Love was their last album. I really liked Glen Buxton's effective and economical lead guitar style, and Dennis Dunaway's melodic basslines - not dissimilar to Trevor Bolder in an era when bassists didn't stick with chugging out quavers on root.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1432145726' post='2778642']

To be pedantic, From the Inside wasn't the original Alice Cooper band, Muscle of Love was their last album. I really liked Glen Buxton's effective and economical lead guitar style, and Dennis Dunaway's melodic basslines - not dissimilar to Trevor Bolder in an era when bassists didn't stick with chugging out quavers on root.
[/quote]Yep, talking about the original band - hated it when he sold his soul (again lol) for all that heavy metal crap.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1432145726' post='2778642']
....Muscle of Love was their last album. I really liked Glen Buxton's effective and economical lead guitar style, and Dennis Dunaway's melodic basslines - not dissimilar to Trevor Bolder in an era when bassists didn't stick with chugging out quavers on root.
[/quote]

+1