Why become a member? ×

Emigrating, best way to ship a bass

dc2009

Hi all,

All being well I'll be emigrating in August. I'll be wanting to take my Sandberg, and ideally my practice amp with me. I may not have the luxury of carrying them myself so:[list]
[*]How does one ship a bass intercontinentally, any recommended couriers?
[*]Is a bulletproof Warwick hard case the best bet for protection?
[*]How do you prepare the bass? Strings off and truss rod loosened? If so, by how much?
[*]Do any of the above change if carrying it myself on a plane rather than shipping/air freighting it?
[*]Is it more hassle than it's worth taking a practice amp with me?
[/list]
Cheers,
Dan

Edited by dc2009

Where are you moving to? If it's day to buy musical equipment there you might be better off getting an new practice amp out there.

For shipping internationally I've always used UPS or FedEx via InterParcel

As a Warwick hard case owner I've not been very impressed with either the build quality or durability (plus they are very heavy) If you don't already have a case get a Hiscox LiteFlite.

No preparation is necessary IME. Musical instrument manufacturers ship guitars and basses all the time with the strings tuned up to pitch.

Check the luggage allowances for your flight. It might still be cheaper to ship the bass.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1431588375' post='2772774']
Where are you moving to? If it's day to buy musical equipment there you might be better off getting an new practice amp out there.

For shipping internationally I've always used UPS or FedEx via InterParcel

As a Warwick hard case owner I've not been very impressed with either the build quality or durability (plus they are very heavy) If you don't already have a case get a Hiscox LiteFlite.

No preparation is necessary IME. Musical instrument manufacturers ship guitars and basses all the time with the strings tuned up to pitch.

Check the luggage allowances for your flight. It might still be cheaper to ship the bass.
[/quote]

Going to China. Buying something made locally will be cheap, but I don't trust tr quality and chinese import taxes are high on almost anything foreign made. :(

• 2 months later...

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1437514649' post='2826763']

Should I destring the bass for flying? Truss rod need any adjustment?
[/quote]

I've always loosened the strings but never took them off for shipping. Never had any issues.

As for shipping I've always used UPS via Interparcel.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1437515667' post='2826776']
I've always loosened the strings but never took them off for shipping. Never had any issues.

As for shipping I've always used UPS via Interparcel.
[/quote]

Thanks, handy advice. I think I'm likely to take the bass on the flight with me as extra baggage. Planning on using Seven Seas Worldwide to ship most of my clothes, little amp etc. but will bear in mind UPS if I have to post the bass too.