Why become a member? ×

Gigging with an active studio monitor

The Funk

So, you know how a few players go on about getting that hi-fi studio sound out of their bass rigs... well, why not just take an active studio monitor out on stage instead of a cab if the hi-fi studio sound is really that great?

Who dares me to test this out one day?

Im saying "do it", in the firmist possible "so i dont have too" way! haha. What sort of sized monitor would you be using? We have Tannoy Widebands at our studio and there perfect, crystal clear, but theres no way theyd be full enough for a gig! Do you just mean a general use active PA speaker?

No, I mean a studio monitor as opposed to a PA speaker. I'd have to experiment with a few different models. Volume is a concern. I'd have to decide whether to go through the PA at the venue too.

A studio monitor on a stand behind my head might not be so daft...

Edited by The Funk

Unless you are playing in a very quiet band, I cant see any 'off the shelf' studio monitor being able to provide enough volume. Just not designed for it, I don't think.

[quote name='The Funk' post='27977' date='Jul 6 2007, 04:35 PM']So, you know how a few players go on about getting that hi-fi studio sound out of their bass rigs... well, why not just take an active studio monitor out on stage instead of a cab if the hi-fi studio sound is really that great?

Who dares me to test this out one day?[/quote]
Wait till those drums kick in... Then it'll be: "hold, where's the bass gone?" Haha.

[quote name='The Funk' post='27977' date='Jul 6 2007, 11:35 AM']Who dares me to test this out one day?[/quote]
One day is all it would last. One note, even. Studio monitors are about 10dB shy of the sensitivity required for the stage. It would take 2,000 watts into a monitor to match 200 into, say, a 4x10.

It might be daft, but it has been tried, sort of.

I remember seeing a photo of a live outdoor stage gig, where the structure surrounding the stage was stuffed with JBL studio monitors. There must have been hundreds in total. This was the only way they were ever going to generate the required SPLs.

As a practical experiment in phase anomalies/comb filtering, I bet it worked a treat.