Why become a member? ×

NBD - Sandberg California VM5 HCA

LewisK1975

So I went to Bass Direct yesterday looking for a new amp, wanted to try a LM3 and a Tecamp Puma.

I'd seen this bass on the website but then them whilst demoing the amp (tecamp puma 500) using my own MIM Jazz, Mark suggested trying a different bass just to hear the difference it could make. He got it down from the wall and plugged me in. WOW. What a tone monster. All strings sounded even and the Low B, although a 34in scale, was nice and tight sounding too. We often get that feeling like the Low B doesn't have the same sound as the EADG strings, well no need to worry about that on this Bass.

Plugged into a tecamp puma 500 running with flat eq and the 'taste' knob centered, and into my own Barefaced Super compact which I has taken with me, the sound was just SO good, nice and punchy in the low mids with just enough top end 'zing' right there with the bass and treble centered on the bass itself.

So after a lot of self questioning, and subsequent talking to Mark and Marcus, we thrashed out a deal with me P/X'ing my Fender and taking the Bass and the Tecamp. Also got a gramma pad and a nice gator case for the Tecamp.

In short I'm now very excited for the weekend to get the whole thing out and hear it at gig volume, I'm pretty sure it's gonna cut through the mix like a beast!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1431527127' post='2772252']
Looks great. Is the neck as much of a handful as it looks?
[/quote]

It's actually very comfortable (to my hand anyway), It's just setup so well that you don't really notice the width to be honest.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1431547694' post='2772560']
:)
[/quote]

I take your point lojo - but to be honest Mark wasn't pushy at all - I'm not generally easily swayed anyway..