Why become a member? ×

The bigger the crowd

Bassistclem

I'll let you know how I fare in my first festival season this summer but thus far it's definitely worse playing to a few mates in a pub than it is to a packed room at an o2 academy ;)

...it's originals too rather than covers :)

Edited by andydye

Hmmm, Interesting.....
I've played in front of some fairly big crowds
But in different situations....

I tend to get slightly nervous before a gig, and I quite like that
A bit of adrenaline can really help. Too much can be a problem too, of course

Some small crowds have been tougher than bigger crowds, yes
But these tend to have been either free gigs (oddly enough, as the crowd are getting a free show)
and at a couple of the few open-air gigs I've done, the crowd have been slightly "cold" on a couple of occasions

A couple of recent gigs, the crowd wasn't huge, but the place was packed
and the atmosphere seemed much livelier, and better, cos more folk were dancing
So if you can get a bigger crowd either dancing or singing along, or both - yes, a bigger crowd can be better

... but not always
I've had some great gigs in front of small crowds too

EDIT: I've also had a couple of really good open air gigs too, where the crowd was great - just to balance that earlier point

Edited by Marc S

Bigger crowds I find easier- Most I've done is about 700 though.

To me a large crowd is less intimidating. In a crowd of 10 (most of us have probably been there) you can hear every word between songs, no matter how good you are there won't be a great atmosphere and its a lose lose scenario.

A Crowd of 500 is so much less personal, although if that crowd turns I can imagine that it could be quite tough.

No experience of performing to such a crowd, but a couple of years back I was introducing a band on stage, special guests on a tour playing 1200/2000 seater gigs. Went out to introduce them at the Hammersmith Odeon (or whatever it is being called this week) to find about a dozen punters in, with the typical London crowd all in the bar. I did feel a bit self conscious on that one, thinking I could go around and tell everyone individually!!

I think there is psychology involved. At some point the size of an audience rather than being a number of individuals, becomes one audience. As you are then dealing with one entity, it can be easier psychologically to deal with.

Biggest audeince ever - 4,000 at a Jazz gig.

Smallest - nil (bar staff excluded) at a Rock gig. Same band also drove from Wales to London to play for 3 people. We did have an audience at some gigs though, honest.

I don't do nerves. I am a bass player. No-one knows what I am doing so they don't know if I have done it wrong.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1431441928' post='2771401']
I think there is psychology involved. At some point the size of an audience rather than being a number of individuals, becomes one audience. As you are then dealing with one entity, it can be easier psychologically to deal with.
[/quote]

That's the way it seems to me

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1431439673' post='2771357']
For me personally it makes no difference. As a band you should always put on the best performance you can whether it's to 1 person or a few thousand adoring fans.
[/quote]
Amen to that. Not always been on stage with people who think the same though

My first gig was in front of 200 people in the west end . A. Bit scared at first , after the second song it was good.😀
Since then, I've played in front of big crowds and one man and his deaf dog.
I always looked like i was enjoying myself , but one of the reasons I don't miss gigs is because of the very pitiful turnouts you get.seeing that I/ we used to put so much effort into it , whether it's practice or giving your all.
I prefer big crowds .

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

I can't say I've ever played to a large crowd (largest was maybe 100ish) but I find the less people watching the colder the reception.

don't really get nervous at any gigs though (although I will on Fridays as we're doing a rather tricky song (mostly worried the drummer won't forget changes!))

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1431443872' post='2771434']
Biggest audeince ever - 4,000 at a Jazz gig.
[/quote]
[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1431449557' post='2771513']
Really? Had they double booked the venue or something? ;)
[/quote]

Ooh - harsh!

Biggest I've ever played to is only about 250, but much prefer it when there are lots of people in. Probably because the punters are a bit less inhibited in a big crowd, if one cheers/dances/leap about then a good few will join in and so it builds.

Smallest 3, although we did stop mid -song and applaud the audience when for brief period there was more of them than us...