Why become a member? ×

What size amp for hi-fi speakers.

the boy

Hi guys ive got an old set of 80 watts hi fi speakers at home that I want to use again. They are 8ohms. It's a pair of speakers. Each has a speaker and a tweeter. What size amp would you recommend for bedt sound. I tried them with a 30watt amp I've got here but they are really distorted. Any hifi buffs out there.

Without details it's hard to advise on amps. Hi fi speakers may be quoted in anything from PMPO mickey mouse watts to RMS. What brand and model are they?

If the sound is really distorted at low levels then something isn't working. If you try other speakers and they are OK then it is the speakers if not the amp or the sound source. If the distortion is at high levels only then you could be overloading the amp or the speakers so turn down.

Power rating is almost meaningless without more info. If you get the chance, try same amp/different speakers and same speakers/different amp. As Phil has said, knowing make & model would be a big help. Also, any info on how and how long they've been stored. Are you aware of any damage or abuse they might have incurred in the past?

An amp delivering 30 watts per channel in an average sized room ought to be sufficient unless you like to listen at deafening volumes IMHO (I've never needed to push my old Rotel RA-930AX amp up to maximum volume and that's a 30 watt amp). This assumes you have a decent set of speakers and your input source is offering a decent signal level. As Phil has suggested, you need to identify which component is creating the distortion.

As mentioned above, let's see the model name / no. When trying your speakers, what were you using? ( cd/ iPod/ turntable ). Are the connector leads faulty?
The rotel mentioned , would be ok IMHO . I would say , get an amp 40 watts max ( 20 watts per channel). Something like a Cambridge audio perhaps , where you get good quality without spending bundles.
I think kiwi has an amp,for sale , which may be ideal.
Don't forget to get decent speaker cable .79'strand cable should be sufficient

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1431266244' post='2769400']
My Mission Cyrus 1 is 30watts and loud enough (and some) for the house.

BTW, bought a pair JR-149 a couple of weeks ago. Wow, what a difference from my old Monitor Audio speakers.
[/quote]

Nice wee speakers there gadgie, always fancied a pair myself but I now have Tannoy Cheviot's which I'm very happy with.