Why become a member? ×

Best lasting batteries for bass

blamelouis

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1431299992' post='2769842']

one night I had removed a battery from a pedal and put it temporarily in my pocket... and forgot about it. After soundcheck we go to find some place to have dinner and during the meal I notice a discomfort in my pants... and I jump out yelling!
The battery made the coins in my pocket extremely warm!!! Fortunately I avoided a case of roasted nuts...

So, yes... be careful how you store them!
[/quote]
Good job your pocket didn't have a lot of lint in it! It is possible, and quite easy, to start a fire using an AA battery and some foil backed paper from a stick of chewing gum.

The 9v Procells I have came with little rubber caps on one of the terminals, so I keep them, just in case.

I bought two boxes of Duracell Procell 9v batteries and they didn't last long at all. All done about 20 of them under a year.
I wouldn't use them again for basses. I now have gone back to whatever Duracell or Energiser I find and they are fine.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1431340349' post='2770088']
I bought two boxes of Duracell Procell 9v batteries and they didn't last long at all. All done about 20 of them under a year.
I wouldn't use them again for basses. I now have gone back to whatever Duracell or Energiser I find and they are fine.
[/quote]
I had this problem and it turned out to be a short

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1431339674' post='2770079']
Good job your pocket didn't have a lot of lint in it! It is possible, and quite easy, to start a fire using an AA battery and some foil backed paper from a stick of chewing gum.

The 9v Procells I have came with little rubber caps on one of the terminals, so I keep them, just in case.
[/quote]
I did a bushcraft course one time and they had PP3 plus wire wool as a great fire lighter - of course the wire wool would still work if it was damp (but not rusty!). Bit less effort than some of the other fire starting techniques.

I recently bought a job lot of those Industrial ones although I am increasingly moving away from active basses. Again :)

More recently still I popped into Maplins (does anyone else 'pop' these days?) and they had an offer on their own brand version AAs - which allegedly outperformed Duracell in a recent test of some sort. They are nice blue colour and came in a sturdy box, so that was good start.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1431352327' post='2770322']
More recently still I popped into Maplins (does anyone else 'pop' these days?) and they had an offer on their own brand version AAs - which allegedly outperformed Duracell in a recent test of some sort. They are nice blue colour and came in a sturdy box, so that was good start.
[/quote]

I picked up a box of 100 of their AAs a while ago, they've been pretty good in everything I've tried them in.

[/quote]
Excellent. Nothing increases battery performance quite as much as a blue casing and a sturdy box :lol:

I recently bought a job lot of those Industrial ones although I am increasingly moving away from active basses. Again :)

[/quote]

I seen that test it was "the one show"
I think I remember Ikeas batteries were best value for Xmas toys.

[quote name='r16ktx' timestamp='1431348955' post='2770228']
I had this problem and it turned out to be a short
[/quote]
Hmm I doubt if that's the case for me because I don't have that problem with regular duracell or energisers I change them as soon as they stop tingling on my tongue test.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1431502631' post='2771885']
I got my Sterling three months ago. I'm on my third battery. I never leave it plugged in and it has had about 10 hours playing time through the amp since I got it. I have emailed the manufacturer and I await their reply.
[/quote]

some people sleep walk,. maybe you sleep play? ;)

Nah, the extra eight hours practice would be obvious by now in my slap ;-)

Brian from Praxis emailed back and said pretty much what I expected, that something is completing the circuit and causing battery drain. He asked me where I bought the bass, I told him and I await his instruction.

As an aside, does anybody know if swapping out the stock preamp for a Stinger would eliminate the problem?

To the OP: I apologise for hijacking your thread somewhat.

To the Moderators: Please feel free to move my posts from this thread to a new one if I have breached etiquette in any way.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1431507167' post='2771946']
Kodak branded alkalines for me.
I get about a year from a Duracell and about 9 months out of a Kodak.

I get mine from one of those pound shops... for £1. :)
[/quote]

snap!

That confirms it - I had wondered if my cheap battery had been at fault, but if you get 9 months of use from the same battery, me bass is goosed!

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1431340349' post='2770088']
[/quote]

I could be totally wrong, but my rusty memory is flagging up that I'm sure a few years ago I saw there were a load of fake Procell batteries flooding on to the market - a bit like the fake fags thing. Perhaps you had a batch of these?

Sorry this is slightly OT but I treated myself to this;
http://www.thomann.de/gb/keith_mcmillen_batt_o_meter.htm

Neat piece of gear for in situ battery checking, also does some magic to tell you how many hours the battery has left (in the tested guitar I guess)