Why become a member? ×

Aria Pro II SB-1000 mk1 (batwing) Rebuild

Norris

[quote name='Prostheta' timestamp='1431595751' post='2772877']
In my book, basses like the SB-1000 are the "new vintage" which can be seen with prices going sillier each year.
[/quote]

I'm not so sure. Mine was up for sale for 15 months with only silly offers made.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1431589572' post='2772786']
A straight replacement of the original MB-1 (3-wire)

Edit: Or did you mean Prostheta's "BB" noisekiller circuit? - in which case the one with modern components.
[/quote]

No, which pickup.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1431615543' post='2773263']

No, which pickup.
[/quote]

The MB-1 from Rautia Guitars

Edit: If you mean neck or bridge, the mk1 SB-1000 is single pickup. Later ones had two.

Edited by Norris

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1431620939' post='2773333']
The MB-1 from Rautia Guitars

Edit: If you mean neck or bridge, the mk1 SB-1000 is single pickup. Later ones had two.
[/quote]

Nope, you were right the first time.
I was asking which model pickup.

For my own restoration project I'm trying to decide whether to go for a MB-II, that my SB Elite has, or a MB-1E...

All SB-1000s have been single pickup. The SB-R150 was a two-pickup version, and those are super rare. The 1979 catalogue shows that the RSB-900 was also the same circuit as the SB-1000, but that was single pickup also. Other than the SB-R150 I can't recall any Mat active bass models as being dual pickup (however their guitars are a different thing altogether).

The difference between the MB-I and MB-1E is that the original's coils were all connected internally with only a two-conductor wire and a shield available. The MB-1E was all out in the open FWIW, so you could modify it for series/parallel or coil cut. Hell, since the varitone takes the place of the tone control in active mode for the 80s SB-1000s, a nice fun mod would be to dump in a huge cap onto the half of the tone control corresponding to the active section and use that to dial out one coil as a "semi coil tap". It's more useful on guitar I guess, though.

For all intents and purposes, the MB-1E is factory configured as an MB-I in how it connects to the loom. The only difference is that the connections are made externally in the MB-1E rather than internally. That's the crack isn't it, Pete?

@bartelby - the MB-II has a bit more of a P-bass character than the MB-I/1E, which is essentially a dual Jazz with ceramic mags. Immense output, but depends on which character you prefer. If you like warm, go MB-II. That's my preference, at it turns out.

Edited by Prostheta

[quote name='Prostheta' timestamp='1431624412' post='2773376']
@bartelby - the MB-II has a bit more of a P-bass character than the MB-I/1E, which is essentially a dual Jazz with ceramic mags. Immense output, but depends on which character you prefer. If you like warm, go MB-II. That's my preference, at it turns out.
[/quote]

It's been so long since my Elite's pickup worked properly I can't remember what it sounded like. But judging from the fully functioning coil on the E and A, a MB-II would be sufficient output wise.

I just have to save lots of money for all the work to be done now...

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='Prostheta' timestamp='1431624412' post='2773376']For all intents and purposes, the MB-1E is factory configured as an MB-I in how it connects to the loom. The only difference is that the connections are made externally in the MB-1E rather than internally. That's the crack isn't it, Pete?[/quote]

I'm afraid I can't confirm or deny Carl. My 1000 dates to April 1979 (according to the latest thinking) which migt help in tracking down whether it's an MB-1 or a 1E. Looking at the mortal remains of the original pickup, it was definitely internally wired up & potted leaving only Red, White & Screen to be used. Two bobbins, 16 poles & two ceramic bar magnets.

I've largely de-potted it using a spectacularly vile solvent (dichloromethane) & this is what's left:

Whilst that's left it in a condition where it could be re-wound faithfully to the original spec, it unfortunately did the casing no favours. Do you know if Rautia would supply an empty case?

P.

[quote name='Prostheta' timestamp='1431624412' post='2773376']
Hell, since the varitone takes the place of the tone control in active mode for the 80s SB-1000s
[/quote]

Been thinking about this. The tone control still works when in active mode though, that's not what you meant is it.

Dichloromethane is bad stuff, Pete. I used a hammer. Not sure about a casing. I can't see why not, however I suspect that like myself Veijo will get enclosures made in batches and pot up all the stock as far as you epoxy stretches. He might have spares if he underrun on epoxy or none if he ended up with a free black lump :-)

@AntLockyer - yes, the tone still works in active but is somewhat redundant. It is feasible to re-purpose that gang off the tone pot for other nefarious uses like a semi-coil tap or anything that a 25k linear pot can pull off in that ratsnest.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1432831180' post='2785439']
I was wondering when it would turn up.
[/quote]

I really need to link a card to my PayPal account. The eCheque took time to clear. Delivery from Rautia Guitars was very good after that

I've only just finished tidying the wiring and now really need some daylight to take decent photos. I'm busy tomorrow evening so it's going to be Saturday at the earliest (and then I'm supposed to be fitting the mantelpiece over the fire or Mrs Norris will not be pleased!)

I'll sort them asap :)