Why become a member? ×

Yamaha best bass on the market

I gig my BB414 because when I soundcheck it after my Fender Jazz, the sound that comes out of the amp is soooooo much bigger and better, can't justify not using it. Action is just where I like it, lower than I ever got my German made Warwick to get, so you can get the nice hard rock clank going on. And it has a painted headstock, which seems to be a luxury on some other basses...!!!

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1431244791' post='2769045']
The drumsets are wonderful as well, and the pianos and brass instruments come to that.
[/quote]My CD/tuner/amp is Yamaha - that's pretty damn fine too, as are their mixing desks. Their motorbikes aren't too shabby either.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1431249999' post='2769110']
It's such a shame that so many people, bass players included, have no idea how good Yamaha bass guitars are. So many times comments like 'oh, it's a Yamaha'......
[/quote]

I have exactly this with my Bex4, in tobacco burst it looks amazing, when people see it it's all, "ooh what's that, it's gorgeous? " and then it's all " oh it's a Yamaha ".

It looks, sounds and plays amazing and it will never leave me so I don't care if it's not elitist enough for some.

Edited by Maude

I think I may have posted about my irrational dislike of all things Yamaha having suffered the horrible sounds and lack of a decent interface on their FM synthesisers. Unfortunate really, as I tried a BB series bass recently and it was a wonderful instrument.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1431244791' post='2769045']
The drumsets are wonderful as well, and the pianos and brass instruments come to that.
[/quote]

They make pretty good motorbikes and outboard motors too.... B)

For my money, the problem with Yamaha instruments is that, when they first started appearing in the lates 70s/early 80s, they were essentially all copies, both guitars and basses. As a result, the mind set was (and, to my mind, remains) why buy a copy when you can have the real thing (be that a Fender,. Gibson etc). They have undoubtedly moved on but, a bit like Skodas, it remains difficult to shake the historical rep. People who came later are less likley to recognise that history and just hear/see what they hear/see, clearly a more sensible approach.

So, in response to the OP, the 'best' Yamaha would, in many people's eyes, be starting with a compromise. Unreasonably so, I am sure, but there you are.

Eight years ago, I decided I'd like to play bass. My other half, knowing absolutely nothing about basses, bought me a BB404. I did the whole buying/selling malarkey, moving through Fender, G&L, Ibanez, Stingray. Six months ago I bought Beedster's BB1200. Instant gas cure. I've kept my Fender MIJ as a backup, but very rarely play it. The BB1200 has such mid-range punch and clarity. All of my other P basses have sounded dull and thuddy in comparison. It looks a little bland, slightly old-fashioned maybe. But that fab rich, full, clear tone, especially with Status halfwounds, does it for me every time. No, you can't buy it off me.

If you like active basses, see this BB1200s for sale. £500

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/261928-yamaha-bb1200s-l500/

On North West Bands website. Nothing to do with me at all. Advert's a couple of months old, so bass may be sold. I've posted this same link in the Ebay Forum.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1431132777' post='2768194']
I like the BB series - had a BB1100s many years ag, was my first "proper" bass, and it was great, very good quality build, incredibly versatile, and a great workhorse bass as well.
[/quote]
Still use a BB1100s myself. The actives no longer work but I use the bass as my 'foam dampened flat wounded thump' bass. Sounds as good as any P bass I've used for the job...

At the risk of appearing racist I don't think you can beat Japanese production values, consistency, and quality control when it comes to mass production. Mexicans appear historically to be less consistent - even if they are working in Corona/Fullerton in the US :ph34r:

Just got back from my mate's where we were writing, I used his TRB1006 and absolutely loved it, what an instrument.

He mentioned he didn't get on with the neck, so might see if I can persuade him to sell it to me at some point :)

ive tried many basses against my old bb1100s and none have beaten it. stingray came close but that has gone now. it may not be the prettiest but for tone and playability its very hard to beat. oh and if you can find one it should only cost you about £300.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1431469091' post='2771785']
Just got back from my mate's where we were writing, I used his TRB1006 and absolutely loved it, what an instrument.

He mentioned he didn't get on with the neck, so might see if I can persuade him to sell it to me at some point :)
[/quote]

I had a TRB1005 and the sound was incredible but the neck was just too big for me. Such a shame because it sounded great.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1431622904' post='2773356']

I had a TRB1005 and the sound was incredible but the neck was just too big for me. Such a shame because it sounded great.
[/quote]

It was wide, but not too deep which helped I think - though not like Ibanez shallow, just surprisingly comfortable. Particularly as it had a very flat fretboard and I normally prefer an appreciable radius.

• 3 weeks later...

This is all very encouraging. I just bought a early 90s Japanese TRB5 from ebay for £460. It [b]appears[/b] to be in really good nick but won't get my hands on it until it arrives in next few days. If it's anything like as good as other Yamaha's I've owned then I'm sure I'm going to love it.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1431335469' post='2770017']
For my money, the problem with Yamaha instruments is that, when they first started appearing in the lates 70s/early 80s, they were essentially all copies, both guitars and basses. As a result, the mind set was (and, to my mind, remains) why buy a copy when you can have the real thing (be that a Fender,. Gibson etc). They have undoubtedly moved on but, a bit like Skodas, it remains difficult to shake the historical rep. People who came later are less likley to recognise that history and just hear/see what they hear/see, clearly a more sensible approach.

So, in response to the OP, the 'best' Yamaha would, in many people's eyes, be starting with a compromise. Unreasonably so, I am sure, but there you are.
[/quote]

I'm with Bilbo on this. Back in the 70s and 80s, at the beginning of the time when we saw massive growth in the Japanese economy through their investment in manufacturing the Japanese lead the world in reverse engineering. Yamaha have their fingers in an incredible number of pies. What they do have an impressive skill in is copying.

The area where I've always thought they would struggle with (bass wise) is the mid to upper range prices. If they are still trying to shake off the 'Skoda' mentality of potential buyers then the BB1024X is over £600 and the BBNE's are over £2500 and in those respected price brackets they are up against some stiff competition to win over dyed in the wool Fender, Music Man, Warwick etc regular buyers. I doubt they would be an immediate thought to someone willing to spend over two grand on a bass even if the reviews are good.

When I had my one and only private bass lesson aged 13, the tutor (great guy, he just moved house the week after I had my lesson, hence only having one) had a brand new TRB sixer with a maple top, i'm not sure which model but it may have been one of the JP ones... this would have been 1995.

... I can still picture it now, I desired that bass more than anything at the time and that's saying something for a 13 year old considering some of the other things I desired at the time :blink:

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1433418487' post='2790880']
I'm with Bilbo on this. Back in the 70s and 80s, at the beginning of the time when we saw massive growth in the Japanese economy through their investment in manufacturing the Japanese lead the world in reverse engineering. Yamaha have their fingers in an incredible number of pies. What they do have an impressive skill in is copying.
[/quote]
I think Yamaha started making basses in 1961 and the Samurai series were certainly not copies of anything that ever came out of Fullerton.