Why become a member? ×

Worst band name

Led Zeppelin - never understood the expression, going down like a lead balloon to mean going down badly. I'd have thought it would go down brilliantly, and getting it up would be the hard part (titter ye not)!

[quote name='bassix' timestamp='1431174818' post='2768494']
You'll be saying you don't like the name Dirt Box Disco in a minute..
[/quote]

Love it. In fact I've come up with one of my own, which I give to the world free, gratis and for nothing:

[size=5]Sh*tty Biscuits[/size]

Edited by Rich
deliberate evasion of profanity filter

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1431173318' post='2768483']
Led Zeppelin - never understood the expression, going down like a lead balloon to mean going down badly. I'd have thought it would go down brilliantly, and getting it up would be the hard part (titter ye not)!
[/quote]

I think a lead balloon going down badly refers to it deflating rather than physically dropping in height :)

[quote name='bassix' timestamp='1431174818' post='2768494']

You'll be saying you don't like the name Dirt Box Disco in a minute..
[/quote]
There was a cracking band called Dirtbox from Coventry back in the early nineties. I had their demo but some ...one nicked it.

I know it's not rude (probably), but the band name I hated the most, that I played in, was 66Crush. The same vocalist (I refuse to call him a singer...) that came up with that, later suggested the name John Doe for a different band. WHY DID PEOPLE KEEP LISTENING TO HIM?? I remember him writing a song about him and a girl he'd picked up "crawling into the back of his three wheeled van..." [i]He didn't even own a three wheeled van!![/i]

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1431186740' post='2768608']

I think a lead balloon going down badly refers to it deflating rather than physically dropping in height :)
[/quote]
[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1431187886' post='2768620']
Surely a lead balloon would never get off the ground?
[/quote]

Strange, a quick google and there is no information on the origin of th phrase. Bpnzodog, I don't buy your version,sorry. 4-string-thing, yes, but IF it did, it would come down brilliantly!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1431192395' post='2768698']
Strange, a quick google and there is no information on the origin of th phrase. Bpnzodog, I don't buy your version,sorry. 4-string-thing, yes, but IF it did, it would come down brilliantly!
[/quote]

It's well-known. How about [url="http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/1152-is-it-true-that-keith-moon-named-led-zeppelin/"]http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/1152-is-it-true-that-keith-moon-named-led-zeppelin/[/url] ?

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1431213227' post='2768948']

It's well-known. How about [url="http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/1152-is-it-true-that-keith-moon-named-led-zeppelin/"]http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/1152-is-it-true-that-keith-moon-named-led-zeppelin/[/url] ?
[/quote]
Sorry Tauzero, you misunderstood my post, I know how the band came about the name, I'm querying the origins of the phrase itself.

I have played gigs over the years where the supporting acts had some duff names, such as:

CHURN
I was expecting a dark metal outfit, or perhaps a Wurzels style bumpkin crew? Actually, they were a poppy indie type.

THE DONKEY SPOKE
What?????

BASTARD SQUAD
Based in Fife, Scotland, they always moaned about not getting any gigs. I think the name didn't help?

PIE, BEANS AND CHIPS
Rock outfit.

However, the one that really took the biscuit, and which needs no explanation as to why it was bad was..............

DARKIE.
Dear goodness!

Edited by kevin_lindsay

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1431254374' post='2769182']
My main band's name is terrible. So bad I'm embarrassed to tell people when they ask.
[/quote]

Spill the beans! It can't be any worse than THE DONKEY SPOKE. Can it?

Edited by discreet