Why become a member? ×

Worst band name

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431084744' post='2767613']
There's a band currently doing the rounds who never rehearse, don't have songs or a set and improvise for every performance. You've got to admire their balls... they are called Commercial Suicide. You'd have to go a long way to find a band name more appropriate than that!
[/quote]

Free improvisation bands have been doing that for years...
My first, and recently resurrected, band never rehearsed. We just went to parties and played for 4-5 hours at a time. We sounded like a funk/reggae version of John Zorn's Japanese noisecore bands! Fortunately this was Leeds in the 80s so everyone was completely off their faces. Y'all will be pleased to hear that we rehearse now...

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1431090366' post='2767717']
MB1.
Those Naughty Lumps
Butthole Surfers
Splodgenessabounds
[/quote]

I saw those Naughty Lumps a couple of times at Eric's in 1979ish. They were excellent, with Julian Cope on bass, Dave Balfe on keys and Bill Drummond:
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXDWm8WE8S4[/MEDIA]

As for the Buttholes, awesome in the true sense of the word is all I can say! Different league from Splodge and his crisps/lager!

[sup][size=4]I have a poor track record on names [/size][/sup]

[sup][size=4]1st time played in front of people - Turbo Condom and the Fish Fingers [/size][/sup]
[sup][size=4]Long time gigging band - Dumper[/size][/sup]
[sup][size=4]Brief spell as - Red Raw and Sore [/size][/sup]

[sup][size=4]Thankfully, now in NightOwl and Declined Transaction which are much less whince inducing...[/size][/sup]

As the great Nigel said, tis verily a fine line...
Here's some terrible band names:
Clap Yur Hands Say Yeah
Death Cab For Cutie
Hoobastank
Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly
Lake of Anal Mucus
Does it Offend You, Yeah?
Dogs Die In Hot Cars
AndersonBrufordWakemanHowe (PLC)

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1431105210' post='2767891']
Are they a sp**k rock band?
[/quote]

Possibly. In recent promotional literature our band was referred to as 'bluespunk'. I've never seen any, so can't comment further.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1431108584' post='2767941']
Toad the Wet Sprocket,
[/quote]
That one's deliberately bad: it was originally a joke name for a band on Rutland Weekend Television's spoof of The Old Grey Whistle Test.

[quote]
The Who clearly never thought about search engines when they came up with that name.
[/quote]
I suspect you may be right... :lol: and I'm not sure if you're serious or not :mellow:

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1431006592' post='2766827']
Die Toten Hosen (or in English: The Dead Trousers)
[/quote]

It's a German saying. No wonder it doesn't translate well. On the topic of bad band names I always thought youmeatsix was a terrible one, but you could always rile up a fan by putting the spaces in the wrong places

Foals.

Almost every band name that begins with 'The'...The Killers, The Music et al

Almost every band name with 4 words in it - Bring Me The Horizon, Funeral For A Friend, Bullet For My Valentine.

I think the last two are more to do with the way they sound if I'm honest.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1431090847' post='2767724']

I saw those Naughty Lumps a couple of times at Eric's in 1979ish. They were excellent, with Julian Cope on bass, Dave Balfe on keys and Bill Drummond:
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXDWm8WE8S4[/MEDIA]
[/quote]

They reformed a year or two ago, I got asked to play bass for them. Had no idea who they were and passed on it - I was only born in '84 so missed the Eric's scene completely. Bloody terrible name, which was one of my first thoughts when I read the email!