Why become a member? ×

Traded: Tom Clement Double-neck headless 5-string fretted/fretless
£1300

MrWalker

Considering to let my double neck Tom Clement fretted/fretless bass go. The serial number is #211.

This is a beautiful and very unique bass!

The body is swamp ash with a mahogany core, and a beautiful redwood top. The 32" necks are mahogany with macassar ebony fingerboards. One neck is fretted, the other is fretless. Currently, they are both tuned E-C, but will accept B-G tuning, as well.

The hardware is Hipshot, and the bass is outfitted with Nordstrand mics and preamp. The switch will switch between the two necks and keep all electronic settings.

This is a one-of-a-kind instrument! There's only built one other Clement double neck, which is 6+6 strings. There are ramps added between the pickups on both necks.

The bass is in Norway, and I guess the shipping will be around £60 to UK.

Edited by MrWalker

They are single ball end and clamped at the headstock.
These are Hipshot systems, and are pretty expensive in themselves. I think there is hardware here for $14-1500 in Nordstrand pickups and preamp, as well as the Hipshot systems. :-)

I think it is 18mm but will check
Edit: checked with Tom, and he thinks it's 19mm... So I'm guessing he's probably right. I haven't got the bass here right now, but will check when I get home on Sunday.

Edited by MrWalker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='pn_day' timestamp='1443458354' post='2874877']
I think you are mad to get rid of this beauty - I've only got 1 Clement, and I'm never selling :)
Good luck with the sale. I seem to remember you have a whole collection of Clement basses!
[/quote]

Thanks!
Yes, I have a collection, it's been up to 10 at the most. I just had to reorganize a little, my collection also included a host of other basses, and there are no room anymore.... so just trying to free up some space and cash.... :-)

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' timestamp='1443470795' post='2875082']
wow
silly questions :- but is it balanced and is it a stretch playing the fretless with the freteed neck
in the way ?
kindest regards
ziigy
[/quote]

It balances really well. No worries there. And the bass is around the same weight as a slightly heavy Fender Jazz, even if there's an extra neck on it. So it's pretty lightweight.
It takes a little to get used to having that other neck next to your hand. But it works fine. It's a good thing that the fretless is the bottom of the two, as it makes it easier to help intonation by eye sight (the angle for the upper neck would make it more difficult to intonate visually).

I am probably crazy to sell it. But I need to finance a new instrument for my girlfriend, so the instrument that gets sold first gets sold. If I cover all I need with something else, I'm keeping this one :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...