Why become a member? ×

First gig with Double Bass

Duarte

I've been tinkering on the DB for a while now, always found it impossible to play for any length of time or achieve a desirable sound. Must be a technique thing :/

We had our first ever gig , last tuesday. Something clicked - breezed through the set, sounded pretty good, never wanted to stop.

Have a look / listen - is there anything I can focus on to possibly have another revelation?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XCARY7xMrQ[/media]

Congrats on the gig and the video sounds great. I'm sure the more hours you put it in easier it will become. The easier it is the more relaxed you are so can play for longer which means you keep improving.
So it's a compound effect and you are definitely on the right path. :-)

Thanks! That's the kind of encouragement I need :) I can't even remember learning bass guitar, it's just second nature now - it's weird learning something new.

I think practising with the band is the way to improve - you can really hear what works / doesn't work and you're forced to relax into it and play for longer.

Forced to relax...hmmm.

That looks & sounds great ... if that's your first-ever gig on DB then you're probably going to have a great time going forward.

I particularly wanted my bandmates ([i]including MacDaddy of this parish, Paul the Drums, and Bluejay on cameras and social media[/i]) to check out what your singing drummer uses for percussion so I sent them the link to your video on YouTube.

It came up with [color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][b]This video is unlisted. Be considerate and think twice before sharing.[/b][/size][/font][/color]

Are you cool with that?

I'll change it to public :)

It's fun to use the bare minimum drum set up. I think his snare and my bass gel nicely together.

We are definitely going to get some more gigs, I'm excited to see where we can take this kind of thing!

Sounds great to me... The beauty of double bass is that you can keep it simple and still sound interesting. Don't try to rush things, allow your sound to develop in its own time and with the sound of your band. If you had fun playing the gig then you're doing everything right.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1430762458' post='2764381']
If you had fun playing the gig then you're doing everything right.
[/quote]

If you could barely move your left shoulder the next morning, and the fingertips on your right hand were painful to touch, then it's official ... you had fun.

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1430821346' post='2764798']

If you could barely move your left shoulder the next morning, and the fingertips on your right hand were painful to touch, then it's official ... you had fun.

:)
[/quote]

Are we still talking about DB gigs?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1430762458' post='2764381']
Sounds great to me... The beauty of double bass is that you can keep it simple and still sound interesting. Don't try to rush things, allow your sound to develop in its own time and with the sound of your band. If you had fun playing the gig then you're doing everything right.
[/quote]

Thanks for this nugget of advice. I think my sound is already progressing from when we did that first gig... something must be right if I haven't touched my Sterling in weeks!