Why become a member? ×

Sale Pending: Wal MK2 4 String Bass Guitar
£3850

Kev

I don't really need to explain what this is. Wal Mark 2 bass guitar, 4 string. Built in 1997. I am the second owner of this incredible instrument. Mahogany core with beautiful maple figuring under a stunning red gloss finish, paired with the clear gloss maple/mahogany neck. Very rare original combination finish on one of the rarest models. Two of my bass hero's, Justin Chancellor and Flea, along with countless others, recorded some of the best bass tracks in history with one of these, and it sound every inch as you would expect.

Wal MK2
Rosewood Fingerboard
Maple/Mahogany Gloss neck
Maple/Mahogany/Maple body, gloss red.
9.5 - 10lb (needs verifying).

A small selection of photographs, I will provide more shortly as required. The photographs show off the stunning gloss finish reasonably and how it changes depending on light, however they do not show off the maple figuring. The flame and quilting looks superb in reality, my skills as a photographer do it an injustice.

The bass was fully serviced by Paul Herman at Wal HQ in May 2015. It is now set up to perfection, fully serviced by Paul and is an absolute joy to play. A bridge screw and saddle screw were replaced as well as the jack plug, and the fret edges were rounded off, electronics serviced, fully lubricated parts and a full set up with D'addario Flexsteels 40-95 guage, now its like a new bass again.

It is in superb condition for its age, no dings or any kind of damage to note. Very light unavoidable surface marks here and there but nothing you will ever notice. Balances wonderfully on the knee and strap as you would expect. It comes with what I believe to be a non-original hardcase, good enough for shipping but is a little rickety so would not wish to rely on it for much else :)

I have priced the bass fairly at [s]£3,850[/s] [b]£3,700[/b], based upon the sales of recent Wal instruments. Two year wait for a new build and for this specification Paul has quoted just short of £5,000. This will be something I will be considering pursuing when finances allow, but for now the need for cash forces this sale. Cash only please.

Edited by Kev

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430476128' post='2761741']
Woah! I thought my bass GAS was under control!! :blink:
That is absolutely stunning! I bet it plays like a big, warm cuddle from God!
[/quote]

Nice description! ;)

Cheers for the comments, guys.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1430501938' post='2762152']
Nice description! ;)
[/quote]

I wish it were do-able, I could certainly handle a shedful of God-cuddles about now! :)

Edited by discreet

Quite possibly the nicest bass I've ever seen. How do I tell the wife that I've got another bass and therefore we can't have a new bathroom without loosing some vital body parts ?

Edited by intime-nick

[quote name='intime-nick' timestamp='1430556277' post='2762501']
Quite possibly the nicest bass I've ever seen. How do I tell the wife that I've got another bass and therefore we can't have a new bathroom without losing some vital body parts ?
[/quote]

Be positive. Depending on which body parts you lose, you may not actually [i]need [/i]a bathroom, so you can buy the bass...

Wow Kev,can't believe your parting with this one. Might be worth mentioning if you're open to shipping (internationally), since a good amount of folk here across the pond would be interested I bet, especially with that color!!!

Edited by kulit17

[quote name='kulit17' timestamp='1430707788' post='2763873']
Wow Kev,can't believe your parting with this one. Might be worth mentioning if you're open to shipping (internationally), since a good amount of folk here across the pond would be interested I bet, especially with that color!!!
[/quote]

International shipping anywhere available for sure, will need to be fully insured so wont be cheap but will sort out quotes for serious interest :)

Cheers Bobby :)

The Wal will be dropped off with Paul tomorrow evening, so I should hopefully have an ETA on its return to me and confirmation of when I can move this incredible instrument on.

Thank you for all the interest so far, some great offers but must stress this is a cash sale primarily, I will consider trades under the terms previously stated but they must be instruments that I will be able to sell easily to meet the value of the trade, it may be simpler to just sell it yourself first :)

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up the Wal yesterday evening. It is now set up to perfection, fully serviced by Paul and is an absolute joy to play. A bridge screw and saddle screw were replaced as well as the jack plug, and the fret edges were rounded off, electronics serviced, fully lubricated parts and a full set up with D'addario Flexsteels 40-95 guage, now its like a new bass again.

It is with a really, really heavy heart that I still offer this up, as this instrument is everything I want in a bass, but I simply cannot afford to keep it. I will be finding ways of trying to keep this, so act fast or otherwise miss out. I have had an awful lot of interest as you may expect and am working my way through emails, but certainly available at the moment. The cost of the setup/repair work was a little higher than I had budgeted for (£££) so my price is[b] firm.[/b]

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1432902918' post='2786063']
Wow that's an expensive service?

Cracking bass tho as usual from the Kev
[/quote]

Standard service is £80 or so I think, gets expensive with any work that needs doing, parts replacing, electronics servicing etc. Wouldn't have anyone else touch it though :)