Why become a member? ×

2x10s... enough?

CamdenRob

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1430564791' post='2762636']
Always amazed when people say that a single 15 or a 2x10 isn't enough. Even with good quality ones! How loud do people play?!
[/quote]

I used to use a Mesa Boogie 115 EV. That worked on its own, but yes, it's all too loud, and I'm always complaining to the 2 guitarists in the band. Surprisingly, most of the gigs seem OK with the volume, so what do I know? To prove I'm not a complete wimp, now even the drummer is mentioning the volume as a problem. I never push my gear so if I need a 210 I'll always use 2 210's. For the last 5 years my usual rig has been 2 112's or a 212 with a good 500 watt amp.

I also do a lot of work with Blues/Rock guitarists in "power" trios and I need to make even more noise with those guys, which is why I use 3 12's and my 800watt Thunderfunk. I would always use a bigger rig than I need. IMO that gets me a much better sound at all volume levels.

I agree Chris... it is the headroom you need rather than run the rig ragged.
I think a 210 will do it in terms of being 'loud' enough but not at a tone quality
I'd want...
If often defends how much input you can put in as well... I don't put much in
so my 500w is not like others 500w... I'm currently debating whether my 500w
is enough....and atm, it is struggle I don't much go for. Too many compromises
all over the place and across the fretboard. If I just wanted to EQ the low end,
it would likely do, but I don't want to have to do that..
The amp itself is fine... just that it is too much work, whereas the 750 amp
is just turn it up and I've got all I want. I agree that 750w is overkill but
the amp has a volume knob, ...whereas the 500w is running out of gas, certainly
at 8ohms... IMO.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1430547688' post='2762435']
I have found that it makes no difference to my shot ears (and punters who have commented) on whether the cab is set horizontally or vertically.
[/quote]It will make a differnce in the mids, and it will do so only off-axis. If you don't move from side to side on stage you won't notice it. If you don't have the cab tilted back or elevated so that you can hear the mids you won't notice it. If you don't have much in the way of mids, for instance with a raggae tone, you won't notice it either.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1430547688' post='2762435']
I beg to differ if we talk about Barefaced cabs.

I swapped my Ampeg 4x10 HLF Classic for a Barefaced RetroTwo10 mainly to save my back but I have also found:

i) The Barefaced moves as much, if not more air than the HLF.

ii) Something in the design of the Barefaced makes for an omnidirectional cab.
I have found that it makes no difference to my shot ears (and punters who have commented) on whether the cab is set horizontally or vertically.

Just [u]feel[/u] the bass, man. B)
[/quote]
I don't disagree with you on point 1. I've not used either cab, but from what Alex says, the drivers he uses are great at moving air.
As for point 2, that could only be possible if one of the drivers were low passed.

I don't think I play loud with 2x210 over a 210 , but it does seem more punchy and present

Add that it gets the top cab closer to my ears and allows access to amp control easier

But the main reason , the rig looks great

In a rehearsal situation, my EBS Neo 210 cab copes very well. It performs surprisingly well next to a hard hitting drummer. I have used it for small gigs when I am not going through the PA or monitors, but for larger gigs, outdoor stages etc....it is not quite enough and I normally add another cab to my backline. Small gig - 210 / Medium gig - 210+212 or 410 on its own / Large gig - 410+212. As I said, the 210 on its own really holds its own, but I don't like to push my speakers too hard. I always try to keep at least 20% in reserve to get a cleaner result and prolong the life of the speakers. If they flap they sound crap!

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1430577812' post='2762794']
I don't think I play loud with 2x210 over a 210 , but it does seem more punchy and present

Add that it gets the top cab closer to my ears and allows access to amp control easier

But the main reason , the rig looks great
[/quote]

All very valid reasons, especially the last :lol:

But re the punchy and present bit, yes, more cabs/speakers at the same volume always sound like this to me - there`s just a much bigger presence to the sound.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1430573942' post='2762762']
Which is the case in the Retro Two10.
[/quote]
In which case the only noticeable benefit would be when it is place vertical with the filtered driver at the bottom, putting the full range closer to ear level. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1430590746' post='2762964']In which case the only noticeable benefit would be when it is place vertical with the filtered driver at the bottom, putting the full range closer to ear level. :)[/quote]

Exactly - which only makes a significant difference when you're standing very close to the cab.

For me, yes. I used Ampeg svt 210he, ebs neo 210, Tc electronic rs210...always without problem, and good sound. The Rs 210 is the best for me. Now, I'll try to play with a single 1*12" + twetter Tks cabinet. I'll have the answer in a few days. Good luck.

I use a Bergantino AE210 and it's easily loud enough for me.

I'm generally running a Demeter 700w head into it but sometimes an Aguilar TH500.

Even at 8 ohms I don't need any more volume on stage. In fact I used it on Saturday standing rammed up against a very loud drummer and was asked to turn it down as there was simply too much low end bass!

I was running eq fairly flat and volume at about 11:00. Turned down to 10:00, cut some bass and slightly boosted mids and it was still very loud on stage.

MB Fusion and a Peavey 2x10 on a couple of milk crates is my gig rig versus 3 guitars and the drummer from that dairy milk advert. It'll be working closer to capacity than the guitar amps but it's loud enough, for now. Sounds good, to me. 9 out of 10 gigs it's just a stage monitor, but seemed to carry a pub sized room, too.