Why become a member? ×

tribute bands, who plays in one

lojo

Bass / Vocals in one of Scotland's Quo tribute bands StatusNo for the past four years.
Played some really nice venues to great people and met lots of good friends amongst the players in other Quo tribs/ cover bands.
One thing I don't understand is the sniping from the sidelines from people not involved in the scene who think they have the right to stir up arguments and trouble. So we just totally ignore them.
Next gig is McVention in Glasgow at the next May bank holiday.

[quote name='NoRhino' timestamp='1430766461' post='2764431']
One thing I don't understand is the sniping from the sidelines from people not involved in the scene who think they have the right to stir up arguments and trouble. So we just totally ignore them.
[/quote]

Yep, some musos seem to like dissing tribute bands. I put it down to snobbery! Some of the most talented players can be found in tribute bands.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1430766596' post='2764432']
Yep, some musos seem to like dissing tribute bands. I put it down to snobbery! Some of the most talented players can be found in tribute bands.
[/quote]

Theres always people within music who think everything but what they are into is uncool.

I started this thread because I've seen a few lately and have started one (well to a decade)

It's been nothing but fun so far

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1430804541' post='2764627']

Theres always people within music who think everything but what they are into is uncool.

I started this thread because I've seen a few lately and have started one (well to a decade)

It's been nothing but fun so far
[/quote]Good for you! Surely we, excepting those professionals amongst us, do this for fun and the joy of just playing music and I would hope that the pros get a kick out of it too. Does it matter what you play, providing you are playing? Classical musicians don't get a hard time for playing their stuff and surely they're the original tribute acts.

One band I have never seen anybody do a tribute to but think would be great is adam and the ants. Having two drummers and all dressed up in the feathers etc i think would make a good show. Ive seen a couple of web sites but never seen any band playing around the midlands as one.
May be my next venture if the current band falls apart

I'm in a "grunge tribute" band called smells like Seattle, playing all the big hits from the era eg nirvana, pearl jam, Alice in chains, sound garden etc. really god fun, and to be honest, it's a far more technical genre than I had given it credit for.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a founder member and still play (25 years later) in the KISS tribute band "Dressed To Kill" ([url="http://www.facebook.com/kisstributeuk"]www.facebook.com/kisstributeuk[/url]) which involves prowling around in 7" monster stackheeled boots, breathing fire, spitting blood and letching at young ladies..... ;)
Not a bad job and it's taken me all over the UK, Scandinavia, mainland Europe and Japan....

I also play in "Rock Anthems presents....Live & Dangerous" which is an incredibly accurate aural recreation of Thin Lizzy's classic live album.......and also dep for the "Supersonic 70's Show"...

Edited by cetera

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1430567365' post='2762678']
I think you're referring to [url="http://www.nearlydan.co.uk/"]Nearly Dan[/url] and BC member Pete Academy. There is also a Steely Dan tribute in this area called [url="http://www.strictlydan.com/"]Strictly Dan[/url].
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I'm no longer in Nearly Dan. Long story.

[quote name='cetera' timestamp='1432848640' post='2785674']
I'm a founder member and still play (25 years later) in the KISS tribute band "Dressed To Kill" ([url="http://www.facebook.com/kisstributeuk"]www.facebook.com/kisstributeuk[/url]) which involves prowling around in 7" monster stackheeled boots, breathing fire, spitting blood and letching at young ladies..... ;)
Not a bad job and it's taken me all over the UK, Scandinavia, mainland Europe and Japan....

I also play in "Rock Anthems presents....Live & Dangerous" which is an incredibly accurate aural recreation of Thin Lizzy's classic live album.......and also dep for the "Supersonic 70's Show"...
[/quote]i do believe i was in Japan with you on the same tour ole chap.

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1432983757' post='2786750']
i do believe i was in Japan with you on the same tour ole chap.
[/quote]

Indeed you were Rog! Fun times :)
Great to see you on here mate!

I've an occasional Floyd covers band (which mostly comes out for mates' parties) and am in Megadeaf - Early Megadeth only (nothing beyond rust in peace) - we do wigs but not quite an authentic tribute as we have a female singer. Good fun, bloody hard on the picking hand!

And I'm itching to do Tommy - got the band, just need a gig

Edited by Lenny B

[quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1433065436' post='2787392']

Sorry to hear that, Pete. Especially with it being your 'baby' to begin with. :(
[/quote]

I went to see the Illigal eagles the other week, one of the guys that came along kept raving about seeing "nearly dan" and how great they are (I'm sure it was a while back before you left)