Why become a member? ×

Post Your Bass Cock Up

Hobbayne

Not to proud to post this bass fail from last Christmas. The Rolling Stones 'Angie ' bass fail at 3.06.
An Epiphone Thunderbird which I gigged for the first time that night.
Look for the singers dirty look after. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdx5wdTqDaU

Set opener "I Saw Her Standing There" first two bars..

Guitar 1 in the key of D
Me on bass in the key of C
Guitar 2 in the key of A
Drummer in hysterics shouting "Far out jazz, man!" :rolleyes:

I didn't get any kudos for pointing to the set list where it quite clearly stated it was in C.

The punters thought it was great. :D

However, I digress, I've dropped bigger and worse bass doo doos throughout my career than I care to admit to.

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1430378019' post='2760712']
Used to regularly flick the hipshot down for Summer of '69 and forget to put it back for the next song.
[/quote]

Ditto. Different song, but same faux-pas… :(

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1430382610' post='2760768']
If he's that worried about you dropping one note, he could probably do with listening back to his own vocal performance :-)
[/quote]

I'll be honest with you, that was the first thing that crossed my mind too.

My biggest cock-up was in a pub gig where the sound was so bad I couldn't hear a note I was playing. Unfortunately everyone else could, especially when I launched into 'Don't Stop Believing' in F whilst everyone else was playing it in E... :o

[quote name='MarkW' timestamp='1430432400' post='2761506']
My biggest cock-up was in a pub gig where the sound was so bad I couldn't hear a note I was playing. Unfortunately everyone else could, especially when I launched into 'Don't Stop Believing' in F whilst everyone else was playing it in E... :o
[/quote]tis merely a semitone ol boy

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1430420748' post='2761340']
I knocked over three pints of the singers Guinness. Luckily he thought it was somebody in the crowd. I cant repeat what he was shouting at the audience. He is very protective of his Guinness... :mellow:
[/quote]

Lucky you only knocked three over, did he have plenty more ? :)

At a recent rehearsal we went over two new tunes. The keyboard player said let's do Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, what my brain heard was Madonna's Holiday. Miss Lauper's big hit is in F# and Madge's early offering is in G - horrible sound ensued, closely followed by strange looks, stopping, explanations and embarrassment. Sounded great once I played the right song.

My most common one at the moment is one particular song where I have a specific set of patches. One of these does a wah sweep on the expression pedal of my multi-fx pedal, so I have removed the usual volume control from the other patches in that set due to the quick changes needed. Of course the song that follows is back to the regular volume-controlled patches. I remember to change the patch but far too often forget to "step on the gas" again! Then I wonder why nothing comes out during the big intro