Why become a member? ×

Alembic - show us your pics

marcus bell

1 hour ago, jazzyvee said:

Sorry I didn't get back to you but I see you are selling this bass now.  I have recently sorted out the next step to change my bass from signature to Anniversary electronics which will give me the same layout as a series I bass with two volume controls, pickup selector switch and mono stereo switch too.  That will get me to the same flexibility of a series bass but not the same sound because the series has true single coil pickups instead of hum cancelling pickups that the signature basses have. All the best with the sale.  

Maybe you could try doing that with your bass, it may make it a better fit for you and worth keeping?

oh man, that would be great, how are you going to do that? 

On 11/06/2020 at 23:33, jazzyvee said:

And how does the weight work for you?

Its about 9 and a half pounds so at the upper end of what I am comfortable with but balances well with a wide strap, so all good thanks! My last one was well over 10 and that was too much

A butchered one. I got the inside cavity photo and it's just awful. The tuners have been changed for incorrect ones and the pickups are now AXY, with the dummy coil still under the badly glued and matched top. Everything that makes a Series One has gone...

Get ready for a heart attack.

https://www.bassic.de/kleinanzeigen/alembic-series-1-1975.9359/

IMG_20200612_114127.thumb.jpg.931c3d5722675c95f30c21bf1f1875d2.jpg

The seller is active here on BassChat, but didn't put it here for sale...

• Sad 1

I actually rather like the back on this one but wow, the rest of it needs some tender care.  I suspect that a good luthier could transform this into a very lovely and very playable instrument.  The coco top must have had potential but the book matching isn't really very book matched.  You sometimes wonder what might possess somebody...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Apologies - I’d been promising this for a while - the fretless now restored entirely and on view here with its non-identical twin. A bit of natural light this morning so front and rear facings. Unusually, Mica selected the more dramatically figured facings for the rear of the fretless. Massive thanks to Bow, the Gallery, Mica and others for some world-class work/advice on getting the fretless back to ‘as new’

B985EAD9-18D0-4EC1-90CA-41BD9B7ADAA4.jpeg

069E648D-5B59-4E1E-8D81-6F0A9B0F56C3.jpeg

CEE7F899-E353-4BC3-B48B-E8C95A1FBC8D.jpeg

Edited by three
  • Like 9

On 19/08/2020 at 17:29, jazzyvee said:

Two awesome Series II Alembics, though since I don't play fretless the fretted coco bolo is more appealing to me.  

Thanks very much indeed - I've been really pleased with the restoration work on the fretless.  To be honest, it was probably a good 9.5/10 when I received it but good to see it back to (almost?) 10/10.  The bass had been toured extensively and internationally but babied and protected very carefully by its previous owner.  The refurb work was minor (but not inexpensive!) and replacing the worn pickup logo alone is worthy of its own thread.  I'm a fretted player (mainly) myself but have been enjoying getting back to fretless following a considerable hiatus.  Indeed, I've been enjoying playing fretless more than fretted this past few weeks.  The difference in weight between the coco and walnut is a surprise - most of it must be in the facings - coco is surprisingly heavy.  That said, the tone out of the fretted is gigantic  

Edited by three
  • Like 1

On 19 August 2020 at 10:04, three said:

Apologies - I’d been promising this for a while - the fretless now restored entirely and on view here with its non-identical twin. A bit of natural light this morning so front and rear facings. Unusually, Mica selected the more dramatically figured facings for the rear of the fretless. Massive thanks to Bow, the Gallery, Mica and others for some world-class work/advice on getting the fretless back to ‘as new’

B985EAD9-18D0-4EC1-90CA-41BD9B7ADAA4.jpeg

069E648D-5B59-4E1E-8D81-6F0A9B0F56C3.jpeg

CEE7F899-E353-4BC3-B48B-E8C95A1FBC8D.jpeg

Absolutely stunning pair of 'bics, three - makes my old S1 look quite shabby by comparison......:|

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Absolutely stunning pair of 'bics, three - makes my old S1 look quite shabby by comparison......:|

Thank you - very kind, but I bet the second bit isn't true!  I'm a big fan of SIs and really miss mine - in some ways a bit easier to use on the fly and every bit the same in terms of art/artisanal craft.  I've PMd if of any interest

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Clarky said:

Now with added SIMS red LED-ness

20201002_155952.thumb.jpg.d86379e70760cce4e94b1457c6996cc3.jpg

wow, stunner - I think we need a lot more images of this.  Absolutely love it - very cool indeed!  If you need a new logo for the bridge pickup cover, I may be able to help out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1