Why become a member? ×

Alembic - show us your pics

marcus bell

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1345538092' post='1778494']
Picked this Brown Bass up recently, just a couple of quick shots (iphone) from the polish and set-up until I can get something better. I'm exceptionally pleased - another testament to the craft and vision of the Alembic people
[/quote]

Another one Loz? I tried a Brown Bass once and it was incredibly light compared to my SC Deluxe. It also had THE most fabulous neck (but of course you already know about the Stanley taper ;) )

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1349679708' post='1828891']
Lovely Distillate Enzo. I spotted this bass on the Alembic Club forum. I miss my Spoiler 32" bass!
[/quote]
Thanks mate, I had a Spoiler previously, another great solid bass.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1349717476' post='1829566']
Clarky, I can only imagine how painful letting a beloved Alembic go would be.

Jazzyvee
[/quote]
Unfortunately it was the weight that forced the sale - as someone who has suffered in the past from a slipped disc and a rotator cuff injury to my left shoulder, I couldn't cope with the c.11 pounds that my Spoiler weighed. For over a year I had an items wanted ad on the Alembic Club forum for a lightweight Spoiler but sadly ... nada

is there something specific about the wood in the spoiler that makes them so heavy? I've read a few comments on the Alembic forum that describes them as very heavy.
I have 5 string alembics which others have described as heavy but I doubt if any are 11lbs. Maybe I should check.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1349718008' post='1829581']
I have 5 string alembics which others have described as heavy but I doubt if any are 11lbs. Maybe I should check.
[/quote]

I've played some real boat anchor Alembics in my time. And I love them! But some of them are really heavy. Make my Thumb 5 string feel like a feather pillow. That said, I mostly play sitting down these days so the weight matters little to me, especially since if I am standing I will have the bass very high on the strap meaning my lower back is saved the job of propping me up.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1321189428' post='1436205']
Was re-stringing this yesterday (managed to get an hour to myself) and got a couple of shots - Alembic know where to get some nice timbers
[/quote]

Bump...
This bass is truly delicious, is it coming up for sale anytime soon? :-)
Jazzyvee

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1360523006' post='1971744']

Bump...
This bass is truly delicious, is it coming up for sale anytime soon? :-)
Jazzyvee
[/quote]
Hi Jazzyvee - thanks for the lovely comments...no plans I must say! I've tried to get hold of this bass' fretless sister - the response from its owner was unsurprisingly negative (but friendly nonetheless!) 'Saw some clips of you playing with Ken Boothe (unless I'm going nuts) - always loved his voice and a great gig.

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1361618458' post='1988295']
Hi Jazzyvee - thanks for the lovely comments...no plans I must say! I've tried to get hold of this bass' fretless sister - the response from its owner was unsurprisingly negative (but friendly nonetheless!) 'Saw some clips of you playing with Ken Boothe (unless I'm going nuts) - always loved his voice and a great gig.
[/quote]

Hi Lozbass, no that wasn't me playing on that gig. I was in the crowd. In actual fact he had a gig that same evening in the city and tickets weren't selling that well so he didn't play many tracks in the park. So I think it was really a teaser set to get more people interested in his main gig. But still it was good to see one of the old masters and still has that great voice.

Back to your bass, I'd love a short scale Series Alembic but realistically I think I will have to put that on hold as virtually all the paid gigs I do these days require a 5 string bass. But saying that, if the right bass came along who know's. But I think that is a few years off.

Jazzyvee

• 1 month later...

Ahhh, Alembics :happy:

This is my baby - a bass I intend to keep forever:

It's an Essence 5, "post-facelift" version. I absolutely love it. The tone is uncomparable to anything else - it's clear like a bell! It doesn't work everywhere, it needs more room in the mix than Fender basses for example, but when you know where and how to use it it's like nothing else on the planet :D I've had some problems with it (the neck is VERY meteopatic, the volume control went south - it's disconnected atm - and good luck finding the jack input replacement, lol) but the sound and feel more than makes up for the truble. I've recorded an album and used this beauty on most songs - it worked just fantastic. It's a keeper.

Edited by Bass-Driver

It's an Essence 5, "post-facelift" version. I absolutely love it. The tone is uncomparable to anything else - it's clear like a bell! It doesn't work everywhere, it needs more room in the mix than Fender basses for example, but when you know where and how to use it it's like nothing else on the planet :D I've had some problems with it (the neck is VERY meteopatic, the volume control went south - it's disconnected atm - and good luck finding the jack input replacement, lol) but the sound and feel more than makes up for the truble. I've recorded an album and used this beauty on most songs - it worked just fantastic. It's a keeper.

Have you tried joining and posting on the Alembic Forum? if you have problems with anything about the bass it's a great place to start and also it might be worth contacting Mica at Alembic directly, I have found them to be great with looking after musicians who own their instruments.
Jazzyvee

Jazzyvee - I know all that, I've lurked many times :) But I'm not much of a "community person" nowadays... Anyway - I contacted Mica several times on various occasions (even before I got this beauty) - what a friendly, helpful person she is! I have to admit Alembic's customer support is second to none.

Edited by Bass-Driver

Great to see the arrival of two more Alembics - SimonEdward, any chance of a full body shot of the MK (I can imagine the top is gorgeous!)? Bass-Driver - a beautiful example. I've just sold an essence as I'm moving to short-scale, however, it was a supremely playable bass with a fantastic core tone (and highly versatile range of tones)

Edited by lozbass