Why become a member? ×

NGD - Avon Rose Morris SG

Freddy Le Cragg

Just been dropped off. All working but was absolutely covered in years of grime and gunk. Gave a strip down an a thorough clean and its amazing for such a cheap copy. Mid seventies from the Fujigen factory (so I am told) for Rose Morris's shop in Denmark Street.

Didn't come with the case but the strap is the same vintage as the guitar ( i got it with a old Silvertone bass I once had)

Nice example - I've had a few of these.

Sorry to tell you Avons weren't Fujigen builds - there's no confirmation of exactly who did make them, but Chushin Gakki's a possibility.

Judging from the neck - round-end fretboard, inlays up to the 17th, fairly high heel - I'd say it's early 70s, possibly 72/3. Those traits disappeared when copies got more accurate.

Jon.

In 1974 when I was around 15 years old, my pal John and me ventured down to London on the train and went round all the guitar shops in the West End. He finally bought one of these SG copies new from a shop on Shaftesbury Ave for around £35 if I remember correctly. His first electric guitar, it was a bugger to tune with a dubious neck joint that would creak and flex rather a lot. Pretty much like my black Avon Les Paul copy around the same time too! We both thought we were so cool with them, had hours of fun trying to learn Wishbone Ash tunes!
Glad to see some have survived, it looks a fine example.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I suspect it's more like a batch/shipment number than an individual serial. Rose Morris sold three different guitar ranges - Top Twenty, Avon & Shaftesbury, and these all had the same silver stickers, obviously attached by the distributor rather than the manufacturer, as they were sourced from various different suppliers.

I've owned numerous Rose Morris instruments & these "serials" are always 4-digit, which would be ridiculously limiting if each number was actually unique. So I have no idea why they called a batch number a serial, but I think that's what they did.

Fwiw if I was selling an Avon SG in nice, original condition, I think I'd hope to get around £120 - £150. These were decent budget instruments, but not the top tier of 70s MIJ copies.

• 11 months later...

My first ever electric was one of these! I got it for my 15th or 16th birthday in the mid seventies, from a secondhand/junk shop in Bishop Auckland for £30. I had no idea how to play and no way to learn, but my schoolmates (more Wishbone Ash fans/wannabees lol) thought it was pretty good. It had a top cavity for the pots and switches, and a floating pickguard (like a late 60s/early 70s Deluxe).

Defo in the "wish I'd kept it" box, along with my first Antoria J Bass