Why become a member? ×

String Care

Norris

The decision for me is carefully wiping down my strings and guitar, using some fast fret then casing it straight away, or putting it on the stand, getting another beer and talking to girls.

Unlike the artist formally known as the artist formally known as Prince, as much as I love my guitar, I like girls and beer more.

Rust should not be a problem after six months, although it could be due to the acid in your sweat. Perhaps you should consider putting a sachet of silica gel in your guitar case.

The only other thing you can do, besides wiping down the strings after each practice, is to wash your hands before playing.

Agree, rust should not be an issue on strings.
Maybe that brand don't use decent metal..or you have a lot of
stuff coming off your body not mixing too well with your strings.

I don't bother wiping my strings but then I rarely sweat at gigs
either. I do wash my hands before playing if dirty or if there is
anything on them like oil or grease.
I'll change the strings when they feel off which is sooner that
them sounding my definition of dead

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1430156657' post='2758493']
Rust should not be a problem after six months, although it could be due to the acid in your sweat. Perhaps you should consider putting a sachet of silica gel in your guitar case.

The only other thing you can do, besides wiping down the strings after each practice, is to wash your hands before playing.
[/quote]

Pretty much just this.

It could also be to do with the type of string you use. Weirdly, I find that Steels don't rust nearly as easily as nickel wounds.

Acidic sweat is a problem. It's more of a problem on guitar than on bass. I know guitarists that change their strings every few weeks because their sweat is so corrosive on their strings.

Let me know what strings you're currently using. Different types of strings and different brands use different qualities of material. Hopefully we can find something more suitable.

edit - also, have a read of my blog (link in signature). It explains a bit about why strings go bad, although I didn't include acidic sweat.

Edited by MiltyG565

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1430220319' post='2759042']
I've used Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings for years (the bright yellow pack)
[/quote]

Try a set of steel strings and see if you get better luck with them. I always recommend D'Addario Prosteels as a high-quality steel string at a reasonable price.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1430179410' post='2758739']
edit - also, have a read of my blog (link in signature). It explains a bit about why strings go bad, although I didn't include acidic sweat.
[/quote]

Good blog that Milty! Nice to see a seller not just bothered about selling stuff.

Still amazes me how little value people put on strings.

Not claiming to be an expert in this by any means, but my experience is thus:

● never had strings go rusty
● my instrument lives in its case when not being played, never sits out.
● I don't wipe the strings down, because back in the day when I played guitar I found that doing so only left wee bits of fluff in the strings, which were a pain to remove.
● I find a set of strings lasts me about six months before showing signs of deadening.
● I use nickel strings
● The only prerequisite is that I always wash my hands before playing.
● from my experience, Ernie Ball stainless steel strings are just the worst, they go dead quickly, they have the most squeak and handling noise and unremarkable tone. I hate them. Others love them though, so fair play.

Edited by Funky Dunky

I recently moved over to E.B nickle strings after using a mates bass and much preferred the feel and tone to the Rotosound steels I had been using for years.
I find the zing goes about the same time as the Rotos, so I dont hold with the belief in some players that nickles die quicker.

[quote name='stingraybassman' timestamp='1430228727' post='2759194']
Good blog that Milty! Nice to see a seller not just bothered about selling stuff.

Still amazes me how little value people put on strings.
[/quote]

Thanks! :) As some on here know, StringPing.com isn't just me trying to sell strings, it's a bit of a labour of love. I'm going to be writing more blogs for it in future :)

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1430240713' post='2759413']
I recently moved over to E.B nickle strings after using a mates bass and much preferred the feel and tone to the Rotosound steels I had been using for years.
I find the zing goes about the same time as the Rotos, so I dont hold with the belief in some players that nickles die quicker.
[/quote]

My experience of Ernie Ball Slinkies is that they hold their tone quite well. Other brands that I've used haven't lasted more than a few weeks, and some last unreasonably long - far greater than you'd reasonably expect.

It's all relative. The variations are in the brand, IME.

https://youtu.be/ZpRFcF6BlzA

This is a decent comparison video. The nickel Ernie Balls sound pretty good.

I'm yet to have a problem with the string life of nickels.

I've been using Dunlop Super Brights, they're great on my Squier P but I don't like them just as much on my Sterling (is that weird?) So I'm about to take the plunge and shell out for DR Sunbeams.

Edited by Funky Dunky

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1430243181' post='2759449']
So I'm about to take the plunge and shell out for DR Sunbeams.
[/quote]

I love the Sunbeams.Great tone and feel. I have read good things about Fodera nickels too. Supposed to be
similar to Sunbeams with perhaps a little more tension. Might try them next.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1430243908' post='2759465']
The Foderas will no doubt be pricey, similar to DRs? I didn't even know Fodera made strings.
[/quote]

Yeah, they'd be in and around the same price as the DR's. Worth doing some research on them. Seemingly they are hand made by just three people in a small factory in Brooklyn.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=fodera+nickels&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xfodera+nickels+45-105.TRS0&_nkw=fodera+nickels+45-105&_sacat=0

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1430244360' post='2759478']

Yeah, they'd be in and around the same price as the DR's. Worth doing some research on them. Seemingly they are hand made by just three people in a small factory in Brooklyn.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=fodera+nickels&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xfodera+nickels+45-105.TRS0&_nkw=fodera+nickels+45-105&_sacat=0
[/quote]

Thanks for posting that link. After reading about the Foderas, I navigated and found DR Sunbeams for £20 delivered! Happy days!