Why become a member? ×

antoria jazz bass (or something like that)

Coldflows

So this is what I'm working with.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/ra1rp5bk5/full/][/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/]photo storage[/url]

Going to wd40 and leave it for a bit then I'll pop it in a vice and have a go removing it. Not a lot of purchase though!

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1430758609' post='2764333']
Brought a heat gun so will try freezing it then heating it up after I cut a flat head into it. If I can't get it out I may have to find a new saddle.
[/quote]

You could also try holding a soldering iron on the siezed screw - if you can get enough heat into it the thermal shock **could** break the rust seal.

I'm going to give the hot air gun a go, I don't think its hopeful. If I can't get it out I may have to drill it, I have lost the replacement screws now anyway! Can't find them for the life of me. They can't have gone far as they only turned up on sat. So much agrivation for such a small part!

Edit:

Found them. Where in my jumper pocket.

Artec pickup is on its way from china and postage was confirmed today, need t have a quick look at the wiring to see if anything needs replacing or if I can keep the original. I think the input has dry joints so resoldering may work.

Edited by Coldflows

• 2 weeks later...

So after waiting and waiting and several attempts at removing the stuck saddle post I brought a bridge which I assumed would be pretty close being of a similar age but alas when it arrived the slot to hold the string in place is too far over by around 2mm so I'm still stuck. Still waiting on the artec pickup from China.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/ld5uc7ggb/full/][/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/]images hosting[/url]

I have heated and froze and wd40d it, what would be the next move as I cannot find a matching saddle for love nor money?

Thanks again guys.

Edited by Coldflows

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1431559901' post='2772683']
How much thread have you got showing on the other side (i.e. bearing on the baseplate)?
[/quote]

Next to none. I have now sawed a flat head into the largest one and left to soak overnight in wd40 but its not budging. If I drill it out will I wreck the saddle?

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1431641760' post='2773644']
Next to none. I have now sawed a flat head into the largest one and left to soak overnight in wd40 but its not budging. If I drill it out will I wreck the saddle?
[/quote]

That depends on how good you are at drilling - don't try it if all you have is a Dremel or a wobbly Black & Decker. However, if you have a pillar drill & vice it might be worth a go (but the saddle must be absolutely perpendicular) - if at all possible drill a very small hole right down the middle & then go up to the next size. Repeat but stop short of drilling the screw right out & leaving the hole smooth and bereft of threads (as then you'd have to tap it for a new & bigger thread). It **might** then be possible to collapse the remains inwards (hammer & small screwdriver) & get it all out. If you're really lucky the heat of the drilling will free the screw and it'll wind out on its own. Alternatively drill all 8 saddle screws out to the same dimension & re-tap the lot to take new screws.

One thing I'd (personally) try before that is to **really** get some heat in there. Wait until the Mrs goes out and bake it for 30 mins in the oven at 250C & then plunge it into cold water. That might cause enough thermal shock to get it moving. If it doesn't, hit it with a gas blowtorch & quench. The downside to this is that there's a very good chance that you'll knacker the chrome plating.

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1431528122' post='2772267']
I have heated and froze and wd40d it, what would be the next move as I cannot find a matching saddle for love nor money?
[/quote]

How about [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Chrome-4-String-Saddle-Bridge-Silver-Fixed-Tail-For-Fender-Bass-Guitar-/281550096886"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Chrome-4-String-Saddle-Bridge-Silver-Fixed-Tail-For-Fender-Bass-Guitar-/281550096886[/url] which has the slot closer to the intonation screw than the one you got?

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1431644876' post='2773672']

That depends on how good you are at drilling - don't try it if all you have is a Dremel or a wobbly Black & Decker. However, if you have a pillar drill & vice it might be worth a go (but the saddle must be absolutely perpendicular) - if at all possible drill a very small hole right down the middle & then go up to the next size. Repeat but stop short of drilling the screw right out & leaving the hole smooth and bereft of threads (as then you'd have to tap it for a new & bigger thread). It **might** then be possible to collapse the remains inwards (hammer & small screwdriver) & get it all out. If you're really lucky the heat of the drilling will free the screw and it'll wind out on its own. Alternatively drill all 8 saddle screws out to the same dimension & re-tap the lot to take new screws.

One thing I'd (personally) try before that is to **really** get some heat in there. Wait until the Mrs goes out and bake it for 30 mins in the oven at 250C & then plunge it into cold water. That might cause enough thermal shock to get it moving. If it doesn't, hit it with a gas blowtorch & quench. The downside to this is that there's a very good chance that you'll knacker the chrome plating.
[/quote]

I have some decent tools but no pillar drill. I may try baking it, its really stuck. I may also try the hot air gun again and ice water.

As for the other bridge the actual string is off center so I dont think even the stingray size would fit it. Its about 8mm smaller than the smallest spare bridge I have, I thought jazz profile necks where normally wider?

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1432333978' post='2780691']
Keep this thread updated please Coldflows.
I'd love to see this bass back up and running and being used again.
:)
[/quote]

Will do my best. Its nearly all here, all I need to do is sort the wiring and repair the bridge. Still torn about the bridge cover, the short one I have looks good but I'd prefer a full one, and I can't find any reasonable ones of the age that aren't fender. You'd think with everyone removing them there would be a surplus.

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1432333758' post='2780689']
The antoria pickup FINALLY turned up. Many thanks to bassassin as it fits perfectly. Will hopefully have a look at the wiring over the weekend and free the blooming saddle. It's coming together folks.
[/quote]

Delighted to hear the pickup fits. These are surprisingly common on early 70s MIJs (Ps, Js, EB copies, Rick copies - you name it...) and frequently aren't working. Really good to have it confirmed there's a drop-in alternative.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1432395499' post='2781140']

Delighted to hear the pickup fits. These are surprisingly common on early 70s MIJs (Ps, Js, EB copies, Rick copies - you name it...) and frequently aren't working. Really good to have it confirmed there's a drop-in alternative.

J.
[/quote]

You saved me probably £40 on buying any I'd found so I'm pleased. Looks the part too, a little shiny but its covered anyway.

All wired up and screwed down, having a bit of trouble with the knobs spinning on the pots as the pots are a bit of a weird size. Ended up buying some mxr pedal knobs to use as apposed to the 61 reissue ones I had bought earlier. The pots are quite long and seem to pull up when tightening on the knobs. Managed two but the last one is causing a struggle.

• 1 month later...

So... To resurrect a dieing thread.

I have FINALLY SOURCED SOME SADDLES!

fender vintage reissues to be precise, which instead of having a cutout in the centre have thread all the way through.

If anyone needs the old saddles please feel free to give me a message, if not il pop them on ebay at some ridiculous price as they seem to be as rare as hens teeth.

Anyway, here's the bridge!

[url=http://postimg.org/image/ox294fl5x/][/url]

Il get it strung up and sort out the intonation and see how she plays!

Edit: seems the neck is going to be an issue as it has quite badly bent back, I'm going to loosen the truss rod and hope it pulls forwards. At the moment I can't play the first 5 notes.

Now I have another problem. The alen key won't grip and the actual trus rod seems like someone has rounded it off well and truly.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/dtzd4lath/][img=http://s2.postimg.org/dtzd4lath/1435420774130624802709.jpg][/url]

Yelp. Any ideas?

Edited by Coldflows