Why become a member? ×

Best Precision type bass for about £500

jonnythenotes

I have decided to go for a P bass, but realise a new or second hand American made Fender for £500 is not going to happen, so what is the next best thing, eiher new or second hand that is as good as or even better? There must be one or two gems out there that are ignored or undiscovered as they have the wrong name on the headstock.. There is the obvious in Squier, but anything else that is worth a squint....

I've seen plenty of US Precisions for under £500 on BC. Keep your eyes peeled, they will turn up!

If you've got your heart set on a Fender, nothing else will do. There are many manufacturers that make good P basses. G&L, Fret King and Lakland make great P basses that'll come in at around £500 used.

If you don't mind keeping an open mind, an 80's Yamaha BB or Tokai Hardpuncher would be an excellent find.

You should check out the G&L SB2 Tribute. :

[url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/SB-2_new/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars...2_new/index.asp[/url]

....or a used USA one....

The "L" stands for some guy whose first name is "Leo" ;)

Just be aware that the neck on these is 1.5" at the nut...i.e a jazz neck.

Edited by Coilte

I've just imported an Ishibashi pb62-US. P*sses on my AVRI 62 in terms of playability/set up out of the box and is about half the price (doesn't smell as nice as it's a poly finish though). Over your budget once import duty ect is added, but there are plenty of good P basses on there used and new from around 45000 yen upwards. If you are thinking of buying unseen off the net then unless there is a bargain going on here you could do a lot worse.

2008 onwards MIM P (£250 - £350) & mod the danglies out of it? Worked for me!

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/258698-should-i-be-nervous-about-a-nbd-tomorrow-now-a-modded-nbd/page__view__findpost__p__2737549

Edited by Wilco

Rare to see an MIA under £600, MIJ is your best bet but harder to come by.

Lots of interesting MIM bases out there though, from the classic 50s, Roger Waters, and Nate Mendel models, then also some cracking Squiers, the Classic Vibe, Vintage Modified, Matt Freeman...

Do you have a preference for colour or maple/rosewood?

As above really, plenty of choice, CIJ Fenders are good, but have to say that the Mexican range has really upped its game on the post 2008 models. I`d get to a music shop and just try the Mex Standards, if you like then keep an eye out on here or ebay/gumtree for similar. I`ve had a good few of the Mex Precisions, and the post 2008s have all been much better quality.

Squier Classic Vibe (as you already mention), and a definite echo of the Yamaha BB recommendations. BB42** are only £300 new, and isn't there a S/H BB1024 in the marketplace? (Edit: yes there is, was listed at £475, now "sold pending"...)

Edited by ras52

So much appreciate ALL of you for the time, help and suggestions you have put forward. I have looked at all the makes and models you have reccomended, and now from being in a position of ' what shall I do,' I am actually spoilt for choice.... Brilliant chaps, and thank you so much..... It's also nice to know this thread could prove really useful to so many other folks after something similar....