steve-bbb

so ... we've been trying to do taylor swift , style to be precise

at first i was fingering but it just wasnt hitting the spot

so i tried it with a pick and it began to click straight away

so i went out and invested in a new item for my bassing arsenal ... a felt pick

bloody marvellous it is :D

Edited by steve-bbb

JT dont be like that its a cool song :lol:

is quite a tricky one too as its a very steady rhythm - am guessing its a sequenced arpeggiated synth line and not a 'proper' bass on the recording

we do ramp it up a slight bit too and the guitar is all very effect laden and 'edge' like so sounds a little bit U2-ish

we think it works :D feel free to come to a gig and throw rotten tomatoes if you disagree :gas:

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1430065101' post='2757633']
A felt pick? That's interesting, I didn't know they existed... I'm guessing you get that solid pick sound without as much attack?
[/quote]

yes indeed - i nearl bought a leather pick but that was 3.50 and unfortunately i only had 2.50 on me just enough for the felt pick

:)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1430064267' post='2757617']
so ... we've been trying to do taylor swift , style to be precise

at first i was fingering but it just wasnt hitting the spot

so i tried it with a pick and it began to click straight away

so i went out and invested in a new item for my bassing arsenal ... a felt pick

bloody marvellous it is :D
[/quote]

Im doing Taylor Swift too, Style and Shake it off. I haven't used a pic in years, always fingers but Style really needs a solid precise attack to get the groove right.

It is a great tune and a little bit of advice, if like me you practice along to original recordings at home, try playing along to her doing Style on youtube at the Victoria Secret show, its bloody entertaining!!

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1430065132' post='2757634']
JT dont be like that its a cool song :lol:

is quite a tricky one too as its a very steady rhythm - am guessing its a sequenced arpeggiated synth line and not a 'proper' bass on the recording

we do ramp it up a slight bit too and the guitar is all very effect laden and 'edge' like so sounds a little bit U2-ish

we think it works :D feel free to come to a gig and throw rotten tomatoes if you disagree :gas:
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: I did pull up a few of her songs but as much as I have sympathy for her etc etc etc ..I think she is very plastic
and the songs I've heard are easiiy forgettable... It is as though she has geared up for this her entire life and has been
lucky enough to be indulged, but for her stature as a major MAJOR act, it isn't built on the greatest talent.. IMO, of course.

But yes, I'll be over to catch up with you guys soon ;)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1430065201' post='2757636']

yes indeed - i nearl bought a leather pick but that was 3.50 and unfortunately i only had 2.50 on me just enough for the felt pick

:)
[/quote]

Standard kit for Ukelele players and great for that JPJ thumpy sound a la very early Led Zep.

The annoying thing is she is everywhere. I've done quite well in only having heard a cover of one of her songs by some pop/ metal band a few weeks ago.
Also I've managed to avoid most of the celebrity c&&p in the metro and BBC news pages so ,apart from the pretty face I know very little about her.;)

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1430072653' post='2757739']
You should try the leather, you get 2 sides smooth & shiny & fluffy & dirty B) https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcgo5kxr13zdu17/2015-04-26%2019.22.33.jpg?dl=0
[/quote]
I'll have to save up as that one was 3.50 from t' local music emporium

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1430072425' post='2757737']
That looks like a Victory V - have you tried one of them?
[/quote]

strange you should mention because it actually tastes better :rolleyes:

(have edited/resampled the pic as accidentally linked the full size original)

I think it's very easy to write Taylor Swift off as yet another talentless bimbo celeb paper hound ala Miley Cyrus etc but... she writes her own material, plays multiple instruments, created her own career through the notoriously critical and difficult country route and then crossed over to pop.

She's won seven grammy's along with a load of other awards for songwriting before her "pop" career really took off, she's also donated several million pounds to charity and has set up quite a few philanthropic trusts - and she's only 25.

That's not to say that I particularly like her music (I like some of her earlier more country stuff) but no/little talent? I think that's probably a long way off the mark... she also sounded pretty damn good singing on the BBC live lounge the other day - the reason I looked up (and actually listened) to her back catalogue.

Edited by BobVbass