Why become a member? ×

NBD MusicMan SUB

theyellowcar

I picked this up on eBay, pretty much entirely on impulse. I've always fancied a Stingray shaped bass, but haven't ever owned one, and these US SUB basses seem to offer incredible bang for buck considering they can be had for Squier prices in the second hand market.

Needed a bit of a clean up, some new strings and a tweak to the pickup height and then I was away. It sounds fat and funky like any Stingray should, and it feels genuinely top quality.

The only thing that will take some getting used to is the lack of body contours. The previous owner also replaced one of the tuners with a Fender style thing which will be replaced with an original MM tuner shortly.

All in all a stunning bass for not a lot of dosh!

I nabbed one of these recently. Absolutely awesome bass - genuine Stingray for peanuts. Probably the biggest bargain around for 300/400 quid. Bass on full and treble up for the monster Ray tone and dial things back to get the mids going - more versatile than a lot of people assume.

Built like a tank. I stuck a black scratchie on mine cos i didnt like the checkerplate and a hipshot detuner. Only slight issue for some is the slab body but you get used to it pretty quick.

I liked it so much i bought a genuine Sterling USA last week after selling my Spector Euro.
In the process, i tried out a few 'genuine' Rays as well and there was absolutely no difference in the sound of the 2 band eq models from my Sub. And i reckon the neck is a wee bit slimmer than the EBMM Stingray which suits me better.

Good snag!

Edited by Mudpup

+1 great choice, i ,ve had mine from new in 2003 ,changed the scratchplate to a black carbon fibre one oh and it,s teal green.
A/B mine with a stingray classic through same amp n cab,no difference to my ears but the classic was very expensive for a coat of varnish and mutes.
Well worth it same with USA Peaveys
nuclear proof finish,no scratches even after all these years gigging even though I,ve worn through the finish on the neck in places-real relicing/roadworn.

+1 to the music man sub club!

Its my fave bass to play with others, you can just get so much punch out of it. Although as has been said earlier you can't go wrong replacing the awfull metal scratchplate. I'm debating about putting on a brighter colour scatchplate on mine, currently black on gray bass.

[quote name='cana.dan' timestamp='1430075445' post='2757778']
Congrats, I recently reacquired a SUB and am in love with the MM tone all over again!
[/quote]

Glad you're liking it! :)
It took me a lot to finally decide to let that bass go...

But it's ok, everybody, calm down, I still have another! :P

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1430130409' post='2758156']
+1 to the music man sub club!

Its my fave bass to play with others, you can just get so much punch out of it. Although as has been said earlier you can't go wrong replacing the awfull metal scratchplate. I'm debating about putting on a brighter colour scatchplate on mine, currently black on gray bass.
[/quote]

The routing for the pickup is very tidy, so it looks good without a pickguard at all. I used to use my wine red SUB (now belonging to cana.dan) without pickguard for a while, and then with a colourless acrylic one (too much space under the strings was putting me off)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1430158205' post='2758517']

The routing for the pickup is very tidy, so it looks good without a pickguard at all. I used to use my wine red SUB (now belonging to cana.dan) without pickguard for a while, and then with a colourless acrylic one (too much space under the strings was putting me off)
[/quote]

The craftsmanship is so good on them. Makes you wonder why they decided to put steel flooring on the miu subs.

[quote name='monkey_dancer' timestamp='1430165705' post='2758618']
Nice bass! I've only tried one of these once but it definitely left me wanting more.
[/quote]

Do you mean 'wanting more' as in 'wanted to play it some more', or 'wanting more' meaning it was lacking in some way? :)