Why become a member? ×

Songs you hate to play.

the boy

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1429954552' post='2756609']
Having read through the Bowie tribute thread it reminded me of how much I can't stand the song "Ziggy stardust". Initially I loved it and fought hard to have it in a set list many years ago. However many bands and many gigs later it has become my pet hate and under no circumstances can I even listen to it nowadays and the thought of performing it sends me into a blind panic.
Anybody else feel similar about any song on their set list? Or am I simply odd?
[/quote]

My very 1 St gig, and we had to play the passenger . Tedious , monotonous and dull!

Paint it Black.

Love the song and I like it when the band plays it but I just know I'm not doing it justice. I can't get the groove right, my hands always ache halfway through and I can't get the slides to sound right. Whenever it comes up I let out a massive sigh and regret forgetting to tell the guys I want to drop it!

I'm happy to play standards. I get a massive buzz from a good reception regardless of what the song is.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1429977098' post='2756900']
Love Walked In by Thunder, i hate playing it with a passion but the singer always dedicates it to his mrs (the soft git) so thats never going to leave the set. :(
[/quote]
Do you dislike it because it's dull/easy to play? Just asking because we used to do this with 3 part harmonies (female lead vox and me and the guitarist) and to do that well was a challenge.

I died a bit inside when I saw Dakota on the set list of the band I've recently joined, this must be the 3rd or 4th act in a row I've had to do it with. I'll be voting for it to get quietly dropped once we've done a few gigs and can start expanding the set list.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1430136323' post='2758232']
I died a bit inside when I saw Dakota on the set list of the band I've recently joined, this must be the 3rd or 4th act in a row I've had to do it with. I'll be voting for it to get quietly dropped once we've done a few gigs and can start expanding the set list.
[/quote]

That's another one! Not entirely the reason I left my last band, but I was bloody glad I didn't have to learn it.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1430156603' post='2758492']
Moondance, I loathe the thing to the point I've never made the effort to play a bass line that even remotely resembles the original.
[/quote] haha I know that feeling ;)

For me it has to be Higher & Higher, bloody RSI central and it bores me to death

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1430133497' post='2758193']
On a purely personal level, I pretty much detest half the material I end up playing and am ambivalent towards the other half.
On a professional level, as long as the audience like it, then I'll play it without hesitation or complaint.
[/quote]Here here.

There are a few songs I hate hearing among the songs that I play with the club band. I don't actually hate the action of playing them though, although "Dance the night away" is one that I have a constant fight to stay awake to (much like "Dakota" with the other band).

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1430156603' post='2758492']
Moondance, I loathe the thing to the point I've never made the effort to play a bass line that even remotely resembles the original.
[/quote]

That's you and everybody else I've ever heard cover it then
;)

Except Bilbo, he nails it.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1429955855' post='2756629']
I don't hate any numbers. The numbers I like best are the ones that audiences like and, secondly, that the band plays well.

I shuddered when they decided to put Tainted Love in the cover band set, until I saw the audience reaction from nearly every gig.

I understand that guys doing this for a hobby can view things differently but there really are no bad songs out there.
[/quote]

Agreed, I'm not a hobbiest. I play music for a living.

I lost The mind set regarding not enjoying playing certain songs a long time ago. If it goes over with the audience I'm good.

Blue

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1430136323' post='2758232']
[/quote]I die a bit inside with this one too. Then when I hear that the guitarist hasn't even bothered to get the right effect on the intro I come back to life and die again.

Songs I hate to play, again not my mind set. I can figure out a way to enjoy playing anything.

I'm not a hobbyist and I am not in this for art or integrity or anything like that.

The only thing I hate is an empty gig schedule.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1430779656' post='2764574']
I die a bit inside with this one too. Then when I hear that the guitarist hasn't even bothered to get the right effect on the intro I come back to life and die again.
[/quote]

Guitarist??

2 6 stringers in my band and[b][i] I[/i][/b] have to do the intro!!

One of my few forays up to the dusty end :)