Why become a member? ×

Songs you hate to play.

the boy

Having read through the Bowie tribute thread it reminded me of how much I can't stand the song "Ziggy stardust". Initially I loved it and fought hard to have it in a set list many years ago. However many bands and many gigs later it has become my pet hate and under no circumstances can I even listen to it nowadays and the thought of performing it sends me into a blind panic.
Anybody else feel similar about any song on their set list? Or am I simply odd?

I don't hate any numbers. The numbers I like best are the ones that audiences like and, secondly, that the band plays well.

I shuddered when they decided to put Tainted Love in the cover band set, until I saw the audience reaction from nearly every gig.

I understand that guys doing this for a hobby can view things differently but there really are no bad songs out there.

I play in an all originals band and avoid playing covers at all costs because I never enjoy playing them. I'll learn some if I feel it'll be beneficial but apart from that they're the plague to me.

Saying that we do have one song that I just can't stand playing. Luckily it doesn't fit with the rest of our music and we never really play it.

I used to hate Rebel Yell by Billy Idol. I never really liked the tune and found the bass line boring in one way and difficult in another (too fast!)

By actually it grew on me the more we played it. It always went down well, and once I'd got the speed up I could actually look round and enjoy it. I almost miss it now I'm not with the band any more!

Billie Jean - boring riff but the unusual arrangement of verses, bridges & choruses has a habit of catching us out. Every time we play it I know it has the potential to fall apart.
Ain't No Stoppin' Us (McFadden & Whitehead) - a lot of hard work for zero reward. It clears the dance floor like a fire alarm.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1429955587' post='2756625']
Free Bird & Sweet Home Alabama!!! :sad:

I love Skynyrd, and there are loads of other great Skynyrd songs, so why do so many bands insist on playing these two?
[/quote]

I think chris_b answers your question earlier.... i.e. because the crowd like or react to it in an appreciative way.

Personally, like others here, there are songs that I would rather not play, but if the audience like them, then why not...?

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1429966586' post='2756767']
Addicted to love. Because I cannot play it without visualizing myself and the rest of the band in tight black dresses. It is disturbing.
[/quote]

Yes. That IS disturbing. A real case for dropping a song, if ever there was one !! :D

I'm sorry i just don't get it!

It's just songs and notes, whatever song you play you are just playing notes. Just in different orders.
I don't understand 'it's got a boring bass part'. It's all about the song.

For me the excitement comes from playing music with other people. The group dynamic.The energy created etc

I'll be playing Billie Jean tonight, and it will go down a storm.

The notes are unimportant. You're focus should be to make that song sit on a groove for 6-7 mins without wandering, flagging or sagging.

There are other songs where you can play "interesting" and "significant" bass lines but that's not your job in this song.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1429966955' post='2756776']
I'm sorry i just don't get it!

It's just songs and notes, whatever song you play you are just playing notes. Just in different orders.
[/quote]

In fairness I think this is a little extreme. It is natural for people to have preferences. Free/improvised jazz is as you describe, but it is not for everyone...band members and punters alike. ;)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1429967090' post='2756778']

The notes are unimportant. You're focus should be to make that song sit on a groove for 6-7 mins without wandering, flagging or sagging

[/quote]

Which was exactly why my bass teacher thought it would be a good exercise for me to learn it! :D

But I failed. :-(

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1429958973' post='2756677']
I used to hate Rebel Yell by Billy Idol. I never really liked the tune and found the bass line boring in one way and difficult in another (too fast!)

By actually it grew on me the more we played it. It always went down well, and once I'd got the speed up I could actually look round and enjoy it. I almost miss it now I'm not with the band any more!
[/quote]
Me too - but I love doing I now , even though it tears my throat up. I've always detested 'Can't get enough of your love' . Hate it with a passion but every dep job I've ever done required it.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1429955587' post='2756625']
Free Bird & Sweet Home Alabama!!! :sad:

I love Skynyrd, and there are loads of other great Skynyrd songs, so why do so many bands insist on playing these two?
[/quote]
In my case - no Freebird but we can mix up SHA with a bit of Werewolves of London and a bit of All Summer Long then make a gag about only ever playing stuff by dead people so Kid Rock must be shitting himself !