Why become a member? ×

Fender P Mark Hoppus Sig Bass - do you know about them?

Grangur

I've seen one for sale. Does anyone know much about them?

I like the look, but the body is larger than a normal P, so are they heavy?

Any other thoughts?

I'm really GASsing for a P really. I like WalBassists P too

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/260626-fender-american-special-precision-bass-honeyburst-2012/

Is the benefit of a "real" Fender so much more than a pretender-Fender?

Edited by Grangur

Evening Rich.

Isn't it more of a Jazz body on the Hoppus?
If so, not necessarily heavier but the weight is distributed differently, well that's been my experience with some Jazz bodies. Good instruments though and certainly pack a punch.

I would be tempted by Walbassists P bass as well. I guess that would be the one for me, if I were looking for a keeper. Also I think it will age in a pleasing fashion with that finish.

Well cast your mind back to last years Herts Bass Bash Rich, and it was a Hoppus that won the blind Precision test. As it`s a Jazz body the weight is probably more in keeping with Jazzes, but when I played it it certainly wasn`t a back-breaker at all.

I think with Precisions, as with many basses, but it seems especially so with Fenders, when you really click with one you tend to know it. I`ve never played a Fender Precision I didn`t like, but some feel pretty anaemic to me, whereas others I just instantly "get".

Benefit of Basschat really, buy one, find out if you really like it, if not sell on at little or no outlay.

Thanks for your posts guy's.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1429897568' post='2756187']
Benefit of Basschat really, buy one, find out if you really like it, if not sell on at little or no outlay.
[/quote]

That is really what I've been thinking of late. Rather than pimp a cheap bass, if you buy a Fender you can recover your costs. A "Pretender" no matter what you do is still what it is.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1429896505' post='2756172']
Evening Rich.

Isn't it more of a Jazz body on the Hoppus?
If so, not necessarily heavier but the weight is distributed differently, well that's been my experience with some Jazz bodies. Good instruments though and certainly pack a punch.

I would be tempted by Walbassists P bass as well. I guess that would be the one for me, if I were looking for a keeper. Also I think it will age in a pleasing fashion with that finish.
[/quote] I agree with what Gary says Walbassists is a gem :) but here is another one for the mix how about a Fender Mike Dirnt I tried one and was really impressed how light it was and how much grunt it had

I have one. The one that won the Herts Bash P-bass challenge in fact.

It's the newer model which has an Ash body and the reversed pickups, which in my head adds up to quite a distinct tone. Not miles away from a regular Precision, but slightly warmer, and more balanced across the strings, owing to the pickup placement. It's also not too heavy, despite the bigger Jazz body. I'd put it at a similar weight to my Alder Deluxe P-bass.

It has a cracking recorded tone too. A friend if a friend used it on a track of his (still WIP so I can't share!) And it sounds great.

Highly recommended.