Why become a member? ×

NOBD - USA Fullerton 1976 Precision Bass *AUDIO*

discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429964325' post='2756741']

I suppose you could give it a quick wipe over with a [i]very [/i]mild detergent solution just to get the clag and goit off it. But clag and goit are where its at as far as I'm concerned... pull through with oily rag..? :)
[/quote]

I'm in the James Jamerson school of thought on this.....the gunk holds the funk! Plus i'm lazy :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429964325' post='2756741']
I suppose you could give it a quick wipe over with a [i]very [/i]mild detergent solution just to get the clag and goit off it. But clag and goit are where its at as far as I'm concerned... pull through with oily rag..? :)
[/quote]

Might I suggest..

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1429965041' post='2756749']
I heard from experts down the pub that these '70's Fenders are on the heavy side. Can you give us an accurate weight for the bass?
[/quote]

70s basses are thought to be boat anchors, but I think that's more Jazz than Precision... according to the bathroom-scales method, which I admit isn't that accurate, this bass weighs dead on eight pounds. Which is exceptionally light and may not be the case, but it certainly feels much lighter than my Sire MM V7 Jazz. I'm going to order luggage scales today, so I'll update or confirm that weight ASAP.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1429965215' post='2756751']
[size=5] :gas: [/size][size=5]That is all.[/size]
[/quote]

Just about sums it up, really! :)

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1429965312' post='2756754']
...Plus i'm lazy :)
[/quote]

Me too, I can't be cleaning when there's other things to be doing...

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1429966822' post='2756773']
Might I suggest...
[/quote]

An ingenious device, but it would play merry hell with my Chalfonts. If you could invent a Chalfont-removing machine, however...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1429878806' post='2755891']
Seeing as the mark is on the center line of the body, I wonder if it's been caused during the handling in the painting process? I believe they inserted dowels around that point and then cut them off.
[/quote]

I missed this... yes, that is possible I suppose. I'll do a bit more research. This mark has been bugging me for years. I wonder if it's worth sending a picture of it to Fender? They must have some idea of how it got there. Has anyone ever seen anything like it on any other bass?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430052048' post='2757443']

I missed this... yes, that is possible I suppose. I'll do a bit more research. This mark has been bugging me for years. I wonder if it's worth sending a picture of it to Fender? They must have some idea of how it got there. Has anyone ever seen anything like it on any other bass?
[/quote]

Could it be the start of a knot forming in the wood at the time the tree was felled?

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1430074621' post='2757766']
Incredible bass. Congratulations on getting it back!
[/quote]

I thank you... Here's an *[b][url="http://www.mediafire.com/listen/gb8bayu5b4ak2qq/Tears_of_a_Clown_BASS_COVER.wav"]AUDIO FILE[/url]*[/b] of me playing it... I'm no Bob Babbit for sure, but hopefully you'll get an idea of the natural warmth and depth of this bass and see (or hear) exactly why I missed it! Recorded direct into an Edirol UA5 into FL Studio 11, no FX or processing. :)

I'll put the link into the OP, as well.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1430076312' post='2757788']
Nice playing . It'd be pretty cool if your band did a metal version of toac IMHO ;)
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll suggest it. Don't see why not! ;)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1430076607' post='2757790']
Great playing and great tones there Mark.
[/quote]

Thanks Lozz! :)

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1430077709' post='2757811']
Loverly bass, hang on to the bloody thing this time :)
[/quote]

This is only leaving my possession when I've shuffled off this mortal coil and joined the choir invisible! Makes you think though, doesn't it? This bass will outlive me. I wonder if it will become hundreds of years old, like an orchestral instrument?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430077816' post='2757812']

Thanks, I'll suggest it. Don't see why not! ;)

Thanks Lozz! :)

This is only leaving my possession when I've shuffled off this mortal coil and joined the choir invisible! Makes you think though, doesn't it? This bass will outlive me. I wonder if it will become hundreds of years old, like an orchestral instrument?
[/quote]

Interesting thought!
Considering how fragile carved orchestral instruments are, I would imagine that a good solid Fender could last alot longer.

Wowzers...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430075691' post='2757780']
I thank you... Here's an *[b][url="http://www.mediafire.com/listen/gb8bayu5b4ak2qq/Tears_of_a_Clown_BASS_COVER.wav"]AUDIO FILE[/url]*[/b] of me playing it... I'm no Bob Babbit for sure, but hopefully you'll get an idea of the natural warmth and depth of this bass and see (or hear) exactly why I missed it! Recorded direct into an Edirol UA5 into FL Studio 11, no FX or processing. :)

I'll put the link into the OP, as well.
[/quote]

I'm going to have a proper listen, once I've got the energy to go upstairs and get my new headphones. Will report back later :)

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1430167283' post='2758637']
Well, in My opinion it IS.
[/quote]

OH, no it isn't. Is it, children? (He's behind you, etc etc)...

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1430219638' post='2759028']
Yeah, do some slapping ;)
[/quote]

Get out. :biggrin:

Edited by discreet

I sent an enquiry to FMIC regarding the possible origin of this mysterious mark on the back of the bass:

...and got this reply today:

[font=courier new,courier,monospace][color=#1B1D1E][size=4][b]Brett Leasure[/b] (Fender)[/size][/color]
[color=#BBBBBB][size=3]Apr 28, 09:24[/size][/color]
[color=#2B2E2F]Hello Mark,[/color]
[color=#2B2E2F]In all honesty, I have no idea what this is or how it got there. I had some experienced people also look at this and they were equally as confused as it is definitely NOT something that should have come out of the factory that way nor does it indicate that it's a real Fender.[/color]
[color=#2B2E2F]Brett Leasure
Fender Musical Instruments Corp.
17600 N. Perimeter Drive, Suite 100
Scottsdale, AZ 85255
Telephone: (480) 845-5144
Fax: 480-367-5262[/color][/font]

[color=#2B2E2F][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]So no joy there, then. I'm betting that even if FMIC knew exactly how it got there they wouldn't tell me anyway.[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I'm unlikely to ever find out what it is. Makes the bass unique though, I like it. :)[/font][/color]

Edited by discreet