Why become a member? ×

courier for a heavy bass combo

PaulWarning

Parcel Monkey will take large heavy cabs, but they might also lose it. They lost my Mesa 1516, a cab the size of a small principality, for 6 weeks and then found it in a van in Ipswich. On delivery, the driver first handed me the empty box and then proceeded to drop the cab whilst trying to get it out of his van. The box was completely trashed, the cab - which became known as Keef on account of its indestuctability - survived the drop and didn't have a mark in it. It was however covered in thick brown dust and smelled of pigs, which knowing the previous owner was not how it had started out its journey. If only cabs could talk, what a story it might be able to tell.

If you use parcel monkey you'll probably save yourself a lot of time, effort and money by just leaving it out on the street with a note saying "Please can someone take this to xxx"

I've never yet had a successful delivery from them, everything has either gone missing or been damaged

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1429824621' post='2755422']
APC will take anything. I've used them to ship 100lb 4x10 cabs in the past.
[/quote]

Another vote for APC, I use them pretty much every day for everything.

However I have used DX Freight (via Parcelmonkey) when I shipped my Peavey 1516E, she was 50-odd kilos. Overnight in the UK was about £20.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1429796313' post='2755047']
Parcel Monkey will take large heavy cabs, but they might also lose it. They lost my Mesa 1516, a cab the size of a small principality, for 6 weeks and then found it in a van in Ipswich. On delivery, the driver first handed me the empty box and then proceeded to drop the cab whilst trying to get it out of his van. The box was completely trashed, the cab - which became known as Keef on account of its indestuctability - survived the drop and didn't have a mark in it. It was however covered in thick brown dust and smelled of pigs, which knowing the previous owner was not how it had started out its journey. If only cabs could talk, what a story it might be able to tell.
[/quote]
[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1429854276' post='2755519']
If you use parcel monkey you'll probably save yourself a lot of time, effort and money by just leaving it out on the street with a note saying "Please can someone take this to xxx"

I've never yet had a successful delivery from them, everything has either gone missing or been damaged
[/quote]

Ha ha, fairly consistent regarding Parcel Monkey then, I imagine my cab would have arrived faster had I have taken your advice and just left it in the street Bob! They really are a curious mix of cowboys and clowns (clownboys?) and should only be trusted with items that are too big to be lost AND too strong to be broken, such as tanks, cross channel ferries etc. Probably not a great business model :)

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1429829144' post='2755480']
Think your dimensions might be an order of magnitude out. 630 cm is 6.3 metres . that's one hell of a combo!
I
[/quote]no it's not it's .63 metres.
thanks guys I'll give APC a try, looks like I had a lucky escape with Parcel Monkey, perhaps they use Brook Bond chimps to do their deliveries :lol:

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1429864889' post='2755634']
no it's not it's .63 metres.
thanks guys I'll give APC a try, looks like I had a lucky escape with Parcel Monkey, perhaps they use Brook Bond chimps to do their deliveries :lol:
[/quote]

630 millimetres you mean? :happy:

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1429864889' post='2755634']
no it's not it's .63 metres.
[/quote]

No, they're certainly not that competent

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1429796313' post='2755047']
[/quote]

Must have been stored next to an Ampig

:)

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1429868430' post='2755692']
They're not a courier company in their own right are they? Or are they?
[/quote]

Well there's the question. If you define a courier as an agent able to reliably and safely move one or more items from one location to another, intended location, no, they're not. If you define a courier company as an agent who states that they can do this, yes I guess they are.

• 4 weeks later...

as a post script, I sold my combo and with the original box it weighed in at 37Kg, I used Parcel Monkey,and as Planer said they are just an online comparison site for other couriers, It got sent by DX and it arrived safe and sound in Wales a day later than the next day delivery stated, cost me £20 (including VAT and insurance) so a good result in the end