Why become a member? ×

Fretless - The Police. Simply fantastic bass lines

mcnach

I've recently rediscovered The Police.
Yeah, it happens.

Also, separately, I've recently taken to playing my fretless a lot while at home [1], a lowly but fun and nice to play Precision bass I had converted to fretless. It has nylon tapewounds and produces this lovely woody thump.

So, it was obvious I would have to learn a few Police songs, right?

I sourced one of these "Play with..." backing tracks CDs and I just spent a couple of hours going through several songs... Things like "Roxanne". There are only a few notes (the timing is key for this one, 'though) and nothing complicated at all... but it feel great to play.

Sometimes the simplest basslines can be amazing.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1429771996' post='2754667']
Much to my disappointment, "So Lonely" has recently been dropped from our set. A damned weird decision given that it always seemed to be well received :unsure:
[/quote]

We rehearsed this song many times and I loved playing it. Guitarist and Drummer decided against playing it so I was out voted. Shame as its a great song!

It's [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-%2522Police%2522-Play-Bass-with/dp/1847722059/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429779850&sr=8-1&keywords=play+bass+with+the+police"]this one[/url]

It wouldn't be my ideal playlist (So Lonely is not in there!!! Criminal!!!), but it has a few good ones anyway. The backing tracks are good. At first I wished they had vocals. Then I thought "cool, I can sing along", then I *REALLY* wished it came with vocals, and my neighbours would probably agree :lol:

I noticed a discrepancy in the tab (yes :blush:) for one of the songs, I forget which one... but they're all really easy to get by ear, which is what I do anyway. Although the tab is nice to quickly scan through and remember the parts ahead of playing. I bought it purely for the backing tracks, really :)

Edited by mcnach

Sting played a few fretless basses during the police. 2 different precisions, Ibanez Musician, a very rare custom built Ibanez Musician with a natural body and maple board, Hamer Blitz 8 string fretless, There was also a fretted Ibanez Musician, not forgetting he used a Steinberger L2 in 1982 and the lovely White Spector NS2. There was also a 60s Precision (fretted) used in the Monserat documentary with Jools Holland and lastly the Van Zalinge upright, endearingly named 'Brian'

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1429780263' post='2754793']
Sting played a few fretless basses during the police. 2 different precisions, Ibanez Musician, a very rare custom built Ibanez Musician with a natural body and maple board, Hamer Blitz 8 string fretless, There was also a fretted Ibanez Musician, not forgetting he used a Steinberger L2 in 1982 and the lovely White Spector NS2. There was also a 60s Precision (fretted) used in the Monserat documentary with Jools Holland and lastly the Van Zalinge upright, endearingly named 'Brian'
[/quote]Blimey, anyone would think you're in a Police tribute band. :)

[/quote]Cheers for this, I'll be looking these up.

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1429811695' post='2755267']
Pretty much all the LP's are great fun to jam along with from start to finish
[/quote]
LP's? - I take it you binned your 78's and the gramophone then? ;) It may be worth explaining to younger Bc-ers that Lp's were spinny black plastic things that music came out of back in the day!

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1429811695' post='2755267']
Pretty much all the LP's are great fun to jam along with from start to finish
[/quote]

Absolutely, bass aside (and I'm by no means knocking Sting - he's superb) - Stewart Copeland's amazing to listen to as well.

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1429809378' post='2755234']
My band played "Message In A Bottle" on a gig a couple of weeks ago. Amazing response from the crowd. Everybody singing along.

Made us think we need to get some other Police tunes in our set.
[/quote]

When I depped last year I was given that one to learn - loved it, and then found out the band didn`t do it anymore. Boo-hiss. But was great to learn it as had never bothered, what a great bassline, and classic Precison/Ampeg tones (if I`m right????).

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1429814755' post='2755313']
Sting is a great bassist...in no way a virtuoso, or master of the instrument...but a really great bassist.
[/quote]

Agree with this. Sting's bass playing is always complimentary to the song - and he loves playing in 5, 7, and 9!! I've got a book written by Phil Mulford that transcribed some of Sting's lines from his Police, Blue Turtle, and solo eras. Not sure if it's in print anymore, but well worth it if you can get a copy.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1429738272' post='2754547']
I've recently rediscovered The Police......

.....Things like "Roxanne". There are only a few notes (the timing is key for this one, 'though) and nothing complicated at all... but it feel great to play.

Sometimes the simplest basslines can be amazing.
[/quote]

Absolutely!
The Police are one of those bands I seem to sometimes "rediscover"
I hear a track on the radio, and think "Wow, I'd forgotten how good that sounds"
... and instantly head for my old vinyl LPs :)

Spot on re the comment about "simple basslines" too
It's not about how many notes you can cram in, how tricky a particular lick or riff is
... It's just about the bass sounding right, and fitting the song

As you also point out, the timing on Roxanne (and some of his other basslines) is tricky, despite the overall simplicity
and it's the tricky timing that makes some songs...

Sting is a strange character, for me
Sometimes I like him, sometimes I don't
But his bass playing and singing really worked in the Police

EDIT: And they were all great, and perhaps understated musicians

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1429862746' post='2755596']
Used to play The Bed's too big without You which has to be one of my favourite basslines of all time. Unfortunately it got dropped because the 'play something we know' crowds didn't get it.
[/quote]

I used to sing that one while playing the bass line on stage. Great fun :)

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1429862746' post='2755596']
Used to play The Bed's too big without You which has to be one of my favourite basslines of all time. Unfortunately it got dropped because the 'play something we know' crowds didn't get it.
[/quote]Great song for getting your speed up when you're learning too.

[/quote]

If I understand correctly, he bought his first fretless on tour, one afternoon in New York, and gigged it the same evening...

I gather there may have been intonation issues :D

Edited by alyctes