Why become a member? ×

NBD (sunglasses & legal advice recommended)

Bassassin

GAS, she is a hard taskmistress. Following the one-in-one-out rule, I sold my lovely-but-surplus Squier VMJ Fretless - and within 24 hours, this was on its way.

It is (I think) the very last new Retrovibe RV-4, one of only two made in this tasteful & restrained colour, which, if it was an official R*ck*nb*ck*r finish, I'd like to think would be "GayGlo". The other is the personal instrument of ProBass mainman, David Konig - and I'm not 100% sure he wanted to part with this one!

Anyway he did, and I have finally caved in & bought a modern Faker, and I am pretty impressed with it. Finish is stunning, fretwork is excellent, it's fairly light & well-balanced, more comfortable & nicer to play than an "accurate" Faker - and by 'eck it's loud!

David has re-wired this & his other "purple" (it's not really, is it?) one similarly to a Peavey T-40, which means the tone controls act to switch the pickups between humbucking & single-coil mode, as well as working conventionally in humbucker mode. There's not as pronounced a difference as on a T-40, but the single coil mode thins & brightens the sound a little.

It'll want a little fettling to get it looking & playing how I'd like - intonation & action are OK but do need tweaking, and a black pearloid scratchplate would look [s]more vulgar[/s] less plain than the white, so it'll be getting that. In the meantime - do yer worst! :D

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1429726431' post='2754355']
GAS, she is a hard taskmistress. Following the one-in-one-out rule, I sold my lovely-but-surplus Squier VMJ Fretless - and within 24 hours, this was on its way.

and by 'eck it's loud!

[/quote]

It's possible the loudest bass I've seen :D

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1429726918' post='2754365']
Would now be a good moment to enquire as to the future of your Kasuga?

:D
[/quote]

They've not yet been introduced, but I feel any offspring might be marvels to behold. :)

J.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1429727233' post='2754373']
Is it a trick of the light, or is there some beveling going on on the spot where a regular bass of this ilk would try to carve a line into one's arm?
[/quote]

There is indeed - there's still a small ridge where the binding is, but far less pronounced with the forearm contour. It's also got a handy little gut-cut.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1429727465' post='2754379']
There is indeed - there's still a small ridge where the binding is, but far less pronounced with the forearm contour. It's also got a handy little gut-cut.

J.
[/quote]

Ooh I'm jealous.... (I've got a boring old black RV4).

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1429728171' post='2754392']
I think you need help...
[/quote]
[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1429729762' post='2754426']
...What kind?
[/quote]
[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1429729871' post='2754427']
There's an elephant in the room. A pink elephant...
[/quote]

Alcoholics Anonymous?

Wow. That's quite spectacular.

Though the neck makes me nervous, it looks as if it's made of sandpaper.

(Was that the Squier you had from me? I liked it well enough, but that... [i]thing[/i] is something else :D )

Edit: Pics with the new plate, please :)

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1429738216' post='2754545']
Wow. That's quite spectacular.

Though the neck makes me nervous, it looks as if it's made of sandpaper.

(Was that the Squier you had from me? I liked it well enough, but that... [i]thing[/i] is something else :D )

Edit: Pics with the new plate, please :)
[/quote]

Yes, it was your old VMJ, sold to a friend along with our old PA. Despite appearances, there's very thick lacquer over the metalflake so the neck's nice & smooth. The finish has a depth to it you can't really see in the photos. Can't do the plate straight away due to lack of workshop facilities, but that should be sorted soon.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1429738439' post='2754553']
It's Barbie's bass !
[/quote]

Indeed. And I think it complements Barbie's batshit-mental motorcycle quite well. :)

J.