Why become a member? ×

New Tech 21 VT500 Micro Amp

dannybuoy

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1440577180' post='2852009']
How would you compare the VT with your TH500 Lozz?
[/quote]

Thicker sound, more depth, but less clarity, much like a valve amp really. The TH I can also get a bigger range of sounds from too, especially sounds where you need to really cut through in the mix. I think Eudes comments about faster attack and harshness are pretty accurate here, these tones can be obtained from the TH whereas in my limited use of the VT I wouldn`t expect that. The "whoomph" from each amp is pretty much the same though.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1440577338' post='2852011']
Thanks very much for that, Lozz, seems like it's close to how I imagined it to be. Which is a good thing. :) But you have also confirmed that which I knew all along, i.e. at some point I will need to buy a heavy box with valves in it if I really want that tone I have in my head. ;)
[/quote]

Agree Mark, in all honesty it`s so close that if I hadn`t had the 3-PRO there I would have thought "bygove, I`ve got it". It really does have the warm rounded quality to the notes but the sheer "whoomph" from the 3-PRO isn`t there on the VT. But then the sheer "whoomph" from an SVT won`t be there on the 3-PRO so it`s all on a grading really.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1440587529' post='2852133']
Agree Mark, in all honesty it`s so close that if I hadn`t had the 3-PRO there I would have thought "bygove, I`ve got it". It really does have the warm rounded quality to the notes but the sheer "whoomph" from the 3-PRO isn`t there on the VT. But then the sheer "whoomph" from an SVT won`t be there on the 3-PRO so it`s all on a grading really.
[/quote]

Sounds like it could be a good real-world compromise, then. When I did have a big valve amp I'd quite often leave it at home purely because of the weight, so better to be 85% (or whatever) there sound-wise and buy something you're actually going to use. :)

I am actually enjoying my newly-acquired ABM which has good heft - it's 14kg which is do-able. But let's not confuse the issue! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1440576643' post='2852003']
I've used a few T21 products in the past and had to abandon them all due to lack of flexibility WRT to the speaker simulation. You guys have arguably the best solid state drive sound in the industry and yet are determined to hobble certain products in the eyes of at least some of your potential customers for want of including a button than would add negligible production cost, I just don't see the logic behind it. This isn't just about the VTBass, I just cant understand why all T21 products don't have defeatable speaker sim as standard, ideally separate controls for amp output and DI.
[/quote]

It helps to understand the design of the amp. The VT Bass was designed to sound like it does from the ground up. It wasn't designed to sound like the speaker output of an Ampeg amp and then we added speaker emulation. The speaker emulation is part of the sound. You are also forgetting the topology of the design. An actual tube amp has no tone controls after the output section and speaker. The VT Bass does. The Low, Mid and High controls are capable of 18dB of boost or cut. Those controls are post Drive, Character and Speaker emulation.

Just for our own edification we set up the VT Bass 500 with two of our passive 410 cabs and compared the amp and then used the VT Bass DI as a preamp into the efx return. We disengaged the speaker sim at higher distortion setting and there was the top end fizz. We then turned the speaker sim back on and turned up the treble control and could pretty much match the fizzy sound. This would be even more pronounced in a full range cab. Please note that we did not find this a desirable sound.

If the Blend control is set at minimum the amp operates like a typical bass amp set clean.

[quote name='mxm' timestamp='1440948576' post='2854901']
...anyone know if the VT 500 can handle a zero load ?!! ta.
[/quote]

You mean with no speakers attached? Been using mine like that like that as a DI into mixer/headphones. No problem.

Using the headphone jack on the VT Bass 500 mutes the power amp. You can run the amp with nothing plugged into the speaker jack. You can also plug a dummy cable into the efx receive jack and engage the efx loop. This will interrupt the signal to the power amp.

In regard to volume it's not always easy to compare unless two given amps are set very clean and are driving the same speaker systems. It seems everyone wants a high powered 5 lb amp head and a light 210 cab and expect it to keep up with an SVT driving an 810. It's not happening. You still need speakers. Our designer was playing the VT Bass 500 last week hooked up to two of our 410 cabinets. It is LOUD. You just can't beat having 8 speakers moving air.

[quote name='Tech21NYC' timestamp='1441201817' post='2856886']
You just can't beat having 8 speakers moving air.
[/quote]

That is very true. But some of Barefaced's cab designs come close. And they're a lot lighter than a fridge. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1441207120' post='2856938']
...come to the conclusion that my Retro two 10 has enough warmth and vintage vibe that i dont actually need a warmer head now.
[/quote]

Probably apples and pears - and apologies for the digression - but how would you compare the Two 10 to the 1212L?

Yep, apples and pears.

The 1212L sounds pokey and more open, the BF sounds very round and, well vintage. The low end from the BS is very deep, but clear. It definitely has a more traditional tone overall, and handles a low B very well. Not really a cab that you can slap with (not that i do a lot), and not a cab that will give a piano tone. Its quite a warm tone, and although there is top end its not in the same class as the very clear 1212L.
It is good for what i need though, but i expect this time next year ill have one of the larger BF cabs.I have a feeling im going to find it just a bit too retro if we start doing more up to date songs.
The reason i was looking at the VT500 was to get rid of needing my VMTD, and this cab has actual solved the problem for now.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1441207120' post='2856938']
Talking of BF, ive now come to the conclusion that my Retro two 10 has enough warmth and vintage vibe that i dont actually need a warmer head now. In fact im selling my Darkglass and wont even need a BDDI any more.
[/quote]

Im relieved :D

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1441292375' post='2857652']

Yeah, cheers, good call. I doubt ill have it this time next year but for now its doing fine (not yet gigged it though).
[/quote]

Do let me know when you want to shift it on......

Just don't tell the missus ;)

Edited by Merton

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up one of these from bassgear last week after an extensive shoot out with some other contenders.

The VT went up against the two aguilar tonehammers and a carvin head. Overall, all the amps sounded great but were surprisingly different. The aguilar's are really excellent amps but I struggled to get much variation out of them. They offer a really warm, creamy vintage tone but couldn't really do much more for me. They are loud, light, extremely well made but only really had a single sound. I think the TH500 was marginally the loudest of the amps I tried and probably the easiest to get a good sound out of, but beyond the core tone I couldn't really make it sound that different. I would be perfectly happy with one of these for the core sound but it isn't the ideal tone for me.

The sansamp however has a far broader tonal palette and has a far more versatile overdrive/crunch tone. I really like a slightly over driven sound when I dig in and the sansamp nails it. It's got a huge amount of control with the 3 band EQ and master operating independently of the character and drive which you can also blend in against the dry signal. Changing one control has an impact on the other controls so you can spend ages tweaking it. This is something that I can see could be frustrating for some users but I love it. They are also the most sensitive controls on any amp I've ever used. A little adjustment goes an a long way!

One gig in I'm really pleased with it. The one stage sound was great with my schroeder 410l, it's a really loud set-up. It certainly doesn't lack any ooooopmmmh which was my concern with buying any digital amp. Our soundguy really liked the DI, he said the overall tone was a little brighter and much higher output than the DI on my old ashdown head and easier to work with.

I thought I might sell the VT pre-amp pedal I've had for ages when I bought this but I think I'm going to leave it on my board. I use it in front of my trex fuzz and it jumps the level up and increases the saturation of the fuzz. I could probably sell it for a signal boaster but I like the flexibility of it.

Time will tell but I'm really pleased with it so far.

• 9 months later...

I bought one - sorry, two - a few months back based on a shoot-out in The Great British Bass Lounge. I specifically a/b-d with the GK MB500 and Fusion, IIRC. All sounded great but the VT had much more of the vintage grind that I prefer and I simply found it more versatile. It pairs wonderfully with my Barefaced One10, which I took along for the trial. I also bought the VT pedal which I much prefer to my old BDDI.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='drlargepants' timestamp='1480808346' post='3187306']
Out of interest, if you want to use one cab with the ability to add another cab later do you go for a 4 or 8 ohm cab ?
[/quote]

8 ohms mate, two together makes 4 ohms. I use a single 8 ohm cab in case I wAnted to expAnd lAter but I totally don't need to!

• 2 weeks later...