Why become a member? ×

New Tech 21 VT500 Micro Amp

dannybuoy

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439846027' post='2846261']
Hee, hee. Don't worry about the video, but some sound clips would be good, if possible. :) What I really want to know is... does it sound like a VT Bass on the front of a power amp, or an amp that's set flat? In other words, is the Preamp and EQ of this amp in any way similar to the VT Bass pedal?

Good review, thanks very much for posting. :)
[/quote]

Having never had the pedal I cannot comment I am afraid. I will see if I can get some sound clips later in the week.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439979359' post='2847168']
Will be very interested to know your thoughts, Lozz. :)
[/quote]
[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1439980360' post='2847179']
Yep, me too - verrrrry tempted by this...
[/quote]

I shall shed the light once I`ve used it in anger guys. I can`t see me not liking it if it`s anywhere close to the VT DI, though must admit, the frequency settings on the amp are slightly different to the DI, so who knows........

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439982973' post='2847207']
Modular construction, mid-range components and made in the far east..?
[/quote]

As long as they sound good and are reliable, not fussed. I really wanted an Ampeg SVT 7PRO, but there is just too much on the web about them failing, even the REV C00 models. Being in a regular gigging band I couldn`t take the risk. Admittedly this amp may be a risk, being new on the market, but I couldn`t bring myself to buy something that had an already dodgy reputation.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1440009588' post='2847578']
Yes they are very reasonably priced, I suppose they have to be to grab a share of the micro-amp market, but given how good the VT DI pedal is, I`m surprised that this amp is only a couple of hundred dearer than that.
[/quote]

Well to be fair tech 21 are completely taking the piss with the price of their pedals, I mean they sound great and all but when you think that behringer can produce a similar sounding unit using the same basic tech (fet based drive circuit) for £30 I think its a reasonable assumption that tech 21 have a fair bit of cost "headroom" to dig into when pricing the head.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1440050836' post='2847790']
Tech 21 pedals are made in the US though, where child slave labour is a bit trickier to get away with.
[/quote]

Lol!

Lozz, one thing I want to know is how you use the DI pedal?
If I recall you use a Markbass head?
If you are going straight into the front end of that you'll find that the head might sound a little thinner compared.

I only ask and say because I just got a LM3 and I went straight into the front to begin with and the sound is nice and loveley but my preamp cooks the input stage. So go into the effects return(bypasses the preamp but before the EQ) and the sound loses the low mid bump that I think Markbass is famous for?one thing to bear in mind if indeed the VT head is just the pedal with a power amp.

I used to use Markbass with the VT DI, but since I went over to Aguilar I sold the VT and used their Tonehammer. Very good indeed, but from recall I prefer the VT DI, hence ordering the amp (and a new VT DI to match). I did used to "go in the front end" so to speak, but as I use an SVT type sound I scooped the mids a fair bit using the Character control, so probably removed the Markbass low-mids.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1440048511' post='2847786']
Well to be fair tech 21 are completely taking the piss with the price of their pedals.
[/quote]

I mostly agree, but it's the sound you're buying into rather than the inherent value of the components. Having said that I've had three VT Basses over the years, absolutely love them, but I've never been able to bring myself to pay full retail price for a new one! I always got them second-hand from this establishment. :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1440009588' post='2847578']
Yes they are very reasonably priced, I suppose they have to be to grab a share of the micro-amp market, but given how good the VT DI pedal is, I`m surprised that this amp is only a couple of hundred dearer than that.
[/quote]

Apart from the addition of the power amp itself then I'd guess all the rest of the features (and more) are already there in something like the VT Deluxe, so the additional cost of manufacture is probably relatively small. I should add that I've no experience of any of Tech21's pedals, although I've had a healthy case of GAS for them for a while, and now for this too. Damn...

Well to be fair tech 21 are completely taking the piss with the price of their pedals, I mean they sound great and all but when you think that behringer can produce a similar sounding unit using the same basic tech (fet based drive circuit) for £30 I think its a reasonable assumption that tech 21 have a fair bit of cost "headroom" to dig into when pricing the head.
[/quote]

Ive always thought their DI stuff was over priced. Good quality gear yes, but a bit too expensive IMO. Saying that, i feel the same about my Darkglass, probably even more so.

At least this head seems reasonable, they must have found a new way to cut costs. Good for them.

I

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1440056499' post='2847835']
I used to use Markbass with the VT DI, but since I went over to Aguilar I sold the VT and used their Tonehammer. Very good indeed, but from recall I prefer the VT DI, hence ordering the amp (and a new VT DI to match). I did used to "go in the front end" so to speak, but as I use an SVT type sound I scooped the mids a fair bit using the Character control, so probably removed the Markbass low-mids.
[/quote]

I could never use a MB head without another preamp in front of it. Not now. I used to and always felt it lacked something. Then i got a BDDI (well, started with a BDI21) and never looked back. I find something like these just brings the head to life. I keep most of the EQ pretty flat but being able ot add a bit of warmth and depth really helps with the MB heads (IME & IMO).
I always just go Bass- wireless- BDDI/Darkglass etc - amp. Never had an issue with the input stage, and ive never used the FX loop.
Being able to cut out a few leads and the pedal really appeals to me.

[/quote]

Not really a fair comparison though - it's not like Behringer do any of their own R&D!