Why become a member? ×

New Tech 21 VT500 Micro Amp

dannybuoy

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1431188528' post='2768638']
Having watched the demo video the guy said it has Speakons because if you used jacks they could get blown out by the power! I've never experienced that with any setup, sounds a bit far-fetched to me?
[/quote]

Hahaha!! I wonder where he got that from??

I did once use an 8x10 cabinet in a rehearsal studio that has such a knackered jack input that the vibrations made it come loose, but that's totally different :P

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Noisyjon' timestamp='1437236525' post='2824620']
Anyone got hold of one yet?
Thomann have the ETA at 7/8/15 and a price of €542 ~£376 at the moment...

Having a bit of GAS for one of these through a Barefaced Retro Two 10 :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I was just about to post something similar, very interested in this.

Having a bit of GAS for one of these through a Barefaced Retro Two 10 :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I have the same gas here!

Edited by Lee-Man

[/quote]

Well the Retro two 10 is right at the top of my new cab list, ill probably be ordering one very soon, and now i have a new amp list, with only one amp on it lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious to know if the blend is pre or post EQ? From memory the blend on the DI version is post EQ and the clean signal is not affected by the EQ. I'd like the idea of having a flat clean amp if I turned the blend all the way down, yet still be able to make EQ adjustments.

Edited by dannybuoy

I too await an early report. Very keen to get one so I can cut down on leads etc.

I prefer the way the BDDI works with the EQ always active. I used to have the drive stuff off and used it more like active EQ. To me that's more sensible as its still a head that should have some form of EQ availbe even if you aren't using any sort of drive/distortion.
Then again I suppose that's not really the idea of this head.

[quote name='gingerfish' timestamp='1439814224' post='2845927']
Its here, have practice tonight so will report back tomorrow.
[/quote]

Open the box already!! We want to see a video of you unpacking the box and explaining the contents, like those idiots on YouTube. :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439815094' post='2845948']
Open the box already!! We want to see a video of you unpacking the box and explaining the contents, like those idiots on YouTube. :D
[/quote]

If thats the case then he has to open the box first, get it all out, then pack it away and and then film himself opening the box and pretend its the first time he has seen it. Plenty of over acting and....well, yes, acting like an idiot :-)

Really looking forward to hearing what its like, as im now torn between this and the Ashdown RM800.

Soooo.... I make no claim to be good at reviews and will maybe try and get some video at the weekend if I can.

First practice with the amp and I'm really loving it, good warmth from the drive. The character control really allows you to get some tone through or completely shut it off if you want a more dub/reggae tone. It has a"pad" button which works as an active bass switch. Didn't realise this at first but resorted to flicking through the manual and saw it, make a lot of difference as my bass was being a bit boomy beforehand. The EQ is very usable and a little nudge can do quite a lot. I didn't really play around with the Mid shift function as much as I would have liked as I was trying to not bug all of the other band members but tried it a couple of times with some interesting results, sure I will get the hand of it later on but I had far too many other knobs and buttons to check out. Was playing with the bass boosted and little and the highs cut a little. Normal smiley face if you will.

The bite function is like the bright button on my ABM. nice bit of extra high end. Not really my type of sound so it went on and straight back off again. I was running it with my two ABM210 and had it up to about 3 o'clock. From there though a little nudge again resulted in a large volume gain, whether this is a ramp up for the last portion of the power or just how it came through the mix I didn't feel like the amp was near the end of its volume range and easily as loud as my ABM500.

Only bass I used was my Dingwall but might take the Warwicks down later in the week and have a mess around.

So what have I missed. Ah yes, the blend and drive. The drive didn't quite break up in the same way as on the ABM, it has a much softer lead up but can do very nasty if cranked. I had it set between 12-1 and it was giving a nice edge to the sound but not going full distortion. The blend was I think around the same position but I would have to check.

So yeah, overall first impression are good. All the knobs and chasis feel sturdy, tempted to stick it in a rack case just so it is a little more protected. I am very happy with it. Need to spend some more time playing around with the EQ but am going to be in no rush to sell it on. Might be and ABM for sale soon though.

Edited by gingerfish

[quote name='gingerfish' timestamp='1439845590' post='2846258']
Soooo.... I make no claim to be good at reviews and will maybe try and get some video at the weekend if I can.
[/quote]

Hee, hee. Don't worry about the video, but some sound clips would be good, if possible. :) What I really want to know is... does it sound like a VT Bass on the front of a power amp, or an amp that's set flat? In other words, is the Preamp and EQ of this amp in any way similar to the VT Bass pedal?

Good review, thanks very much for posting. :)

Edited by discreet