Why become a member? ×

New Tech 21 VT500 Micro Amp

dannybuoy

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1429809568' post='2755241']
Just buy a VT DI?
[/quote]

Will have one of those as well. Regular gig set-up is bass, amp, cab. Using provided rigs will be bass, VT DI, provided set-up. Recording will be bass, VT DI. All uses covered with minimum amounts of gear.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1429693165' post='2753915']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTezrda44qo[/media]

Made in Korea unlike their more expensive amps, you can preorder for £450 here: [url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/tech-21-vt-bass-500-5650-p.asp"]http://www.effectpow...-500-5650-p.asp[/url]

Although I would wait to see what Thomanns prices are!
[/quote]

The music in the background of the video is my very good mate Andy James shredding away!

• 2 weeks later...

Found this thread on TalkBass from 2009... perhaps companies DO listen to their customers? Eventually? :)

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/dear-tech21-vt-bass-with-class-d-power-amp.594358/"]http://www.talkbass.com/threads/dear-tech21-vt-bass-with-class-d-power-amp.594358/[/url]

I'm back to needing yet another VT Bass, so I'm waiting for these to appear with bated trousers.

Well I`ve decided to back out. Although I love the VT DI, what I really liked was the speaker sim which isn`t on the amp, so I`ve bough the VT DI again. Looks like my plans for easiest set-up have gone a bit awry, but worth it for the VT DI sound, which as far as I recall I prefer slightly to the TH500 on its own. Will update after next rehearsal after having tried them both.

Just used the VT DI through my rig - at home levels I might add - and what I really notice at this level is that "squishy/spongey" sort of sound that you get from a driven valve amp when you hit the strings hard, a natural comression if you like. So it`s looking like I`ve made the right choice though obviously going to have to play it at band levels to really make sure. One other thing I`ve noticed though, is how little extra mids and treble I need to add using it through my Barefaced cab as opposed to the Markbass rig I used to put it through.

Edited by Lozz196

The speaker sim is always on with the first generation pedals, and the deluxe model. The later pedal just added the option to turn it off. I would've thought the VT500 would be similar to the first generation, but it's a shame if it isn't, as I really like the speaker sim too.

EDIT: By the description, it looks like the speaker sim is only on through the DI output on the VT500.

Edited by Dvisions

[quote name='Dvisions' timestamp='1430934008' post='2766141']
The speaker sim is always on with the first generation pedals, and the deluxe model. The later pedal just added the option to turn it off.
[/quote]

Ah, I did not know that, thanks. Either way I think a combined VT/power amp in one box is too good to miss. :)

I foolishly sold my v1 to upgrade to a v2, then again to get the DI, but the v1 sounded so much better to me. Seemed like the EQ knob positions were set differently and the drive more buzzy than crunchy in the later revisions. Having never actually A-B'd them though, it could be all in my head!

Now I am VT-less and thinking of picking up one of these amps when they arrive. I wonder if setting the blend all the way to the left makes it act like a clean power amp, but accepting instrument level signals instead of having to boost to line level?

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1431172262' post='2768467']
Cor that looks interesting.
According to the specs this would fit in a Markbass combo.

I get confused, are sansamp and tech 21 the same company?
[/quote]

Tech21 are the company. A Sansamp is just one of their product lines.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1431172262' post='2768467']
Cor that looks interesting.
According to the specs this would fit in a Markbass combo.
[/quote]

I wonder if that was a conscious decision, seeing as how pretty much every rock player who uses markbass uses a Tech 21 product in front of it!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1431178958' post='2768531']
I wonder if that was a conscious decision, seeing as how pretty much every rock player who uses markbass uses a Tech 21 product in front of it!
[/quote]

I can't imagine it being any kind of a coincidence. :)