Why become a member? ×

New Tech 21 VT500 Micro Amp

dannybuoy

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTezrda44qo[/media]

Made in Korea unlike their more expensive amps, you can preorder for £450 here: http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/tech-21-vt-bass-500-5650-p.asp

Although I would wait to see what Thomanns prices are!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1429694402' post='2753941']
I might hold off from buying a tonehammer 500 and see what these actually sound like I person.
[/quote]

If it sounds anything like a VT Bass (and why should it not?) then I think it'll be a winner.
Take two boxes into the shower..? Not me, I just buy a VT500 and go. Or something. OK, that didn't work, but I'm sure this amp will.

I've always thought about getting a clean power amp and a VT Bass DI, then a switcher to go between that and my 2 Darkglass preamp pedals. One of these might work better - I could just either use the fx return (or just turn down the blend) when using another preamp so the VT500 becomes a cheap power amp. Switching would be difficult though without a custom switch box.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1429697288' post='2753989']
AFAIK they've only made one class D amp, the VT Bass 1000, which nobody bought because they cost around a grand. Now that manufacture has gone to the far east, all bets are off!
[/quote]

Let's just hope they seal that magic smoke in nice and tight !

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1429698383' post='2753998']
Well I loved the VT DI pedal, so am going to try one of these as soon as available. DSRs come to my aid!

Deposit paid - just have to wait for them to land in Blighty.
[/quote]

Nice one. Reckon it will show up before the Herts bash?

Heard them at the Frankfurt show - their stand was opposite the Marshall booth and although I didn't get to play them myself, they sounded pretty cool. I'm a Tech21 fan anyway having an RBI,RPM and PBDDI so I guess I'll be getting one of these too !. Looks like it will be rack-able aswell as it has the screw holes on the sides.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1429737853' post='2754538']
Nice one. Reckon it will show up before the Herts bash?
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429741061' post='2754586']
Wahey! That's very decisive of you Lozz. :)
[/quote]
[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1429753233' post='2754637']
Nice work Lozz! No pissing about, straight in!
[/quote]

1 - I really hope so - I`ve a few gigs lined up too so hoping it`s a swift landing. And I`m sure there will be some eager eyes and ears at the Herts Bash on this too.
2 & 3 - Well I loved the VT DI so much that having an amp that makes that sound is one of those USofA No-Brainers we hear about.

I`ve paired my amps and DI/Pre-amp pedal together - Aguilar Tonehammers - so that whatever I use will be the same sound, and they are really good, but from recall the VT DI had just that bit more weight to the sound, so if I can get all that together, well wa-hey!!

Interesting move though I'm not sure how popular it will prove to be; given such a large number of the players that are into this type of sound probably already have a sansamp, what would be the point in then getting the amp? They can already do the same sound with their current equipment & have other options from the amp...

It looks like a good option for people upgrading from combos/lower end gear though so maybe that's what they're looking at.

For me it`s about being able to set up quickly with less gear when on 5-band-bills, plus knowing that my backup VT DI sound is the same as my amp. May not seem much but when time is of the essence, one less pedal and lead to pack away is a luxury.