Why become a member? ×

Francis Dunnery at my house !!

tonybassplayer

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1431410144' post='2770900']
Perhaps it's me but this idea of a super-intimate gig does not appeal at all. I want may rock stars on stage with a full production, and at the fraction of the cost. Admittedly not as exclusive but then that's not one of my musical appreciation criteria.

Supposing he breaks your toilet?
[/quote]

Each to their own but we are so excited about a genuine star playing and singing in our conservatory.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1431410144' post='2770900']
Perhaps it's me but this idea of a super-intimate gig does not appeal at all. I want may rock stars on stage with a full production, and at the fraction of the cost. Admittedly not as exclusive but then that's not one of my musical appreciation criteria.

[/quote]

£750 between 16 people is less than £50 each.

I saw Frank in Shepherds Bush. It may have been £20-£30. You're standing in a hall with 2-300 people. Albeit a great venue.

The guy is sitting on a sofa in the same room. Magical.

Edited by TimR

I went to a Q&A with Steve Hackett recently and I have to say it was great just to sit and listen to the guy so I get the intimate thing.
Saw Frank at an It Bites convention in '89 (only one from the band who turned up). I think the band were starting to disintegrate and he wasn't his seemingly ebullient self.

Amazing night full of great music, fabulous stories and very inspirational philosophical thoughts.

Certainly prompted a huge debate amongst our friends afterwards and we are all still buzzing from it.

Very nice to sit down before and after and just generally chat to him too along with his friend and assistant Paul and his sister Faye who was spending a few days with him.

Managed to down a couple of very nice pies too !!

• Like 1

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1431871691' post='2775720']
Amazing night full of great music, fabulous stories and very inspirational philosophical thoughts.

Certainly prompted a huge debate amongst our friends afterwards and we are all still buzzing from it.

Very nice to sit down before and after and just generally chat to him too along with his friend and assistant Paul and his sister Faye who was spending a few days with him.

Managed to down a couple of very nice pies too !!
[/quote]
It must have been awesome! Jealous....

• 4 years later...

We used to do house gigs regularly in our back room - a couple of times a year. It was great fun. Mostly up and coming singers we’d got to know on the singer-songwriter/art centre circuit and from writing for an online mag. But we also had Steve Lawson doing a solo bass gig with his wife, Lobelia, who’s a singer in her own right. We’d have 24 people sitting on sofas and garden chairs and used a small PA I’ve got (tho to be fair, that’s not really needed but since I had it already... why not).

It was always a lovely informal setting for music and all our friends who came along loved it (mostly non muso types) and would rave about it to all their friends. We had some great singers from both the UK and US (who were over on small UK tours - solo artists, duos and even a fiddle/cello trio). Highly recommended if you ever fancy it. We’d charge (a voluntary donation of) £10, all of which went straight to the artist plus they invariably picked up a load of CD sales too - which meant it was probably one of their most profitable gigs given the way artists are treated in/near London! Lol!

One of our house gig artists went on to win a Grammy or two for songs written with Ed Sheeran and some US country artists, another one is now one of the judges on South Africa’s version of “The Voice”... which gives you an idea of the level of quality of the singers making a living plying the folk club circuit!

image.jpeg.9a15278f55f7e96713ca27738e0d93b6.jpeg

image.jpeg.22bb13fbcaca65fed57f0f8bcd386323.jpeg

image.jpeg.e483c87b98ba768603b9087f3d0937be.jpeg

image.jpeg.64d0221dafe3d5509951ca7181459f24.jpeg

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 4

On 12/05/2015 at 06:55, visog said:

At my time of life a super-intimate gig sounds like bliss. I still go to gigs but most of the time the audience irritates the crap out of me and I really could care less about big production for most of the artists I like. And the big-production bands I do love are generally no more, sadly. 
Saw one of my current favourite artists, Lissie, in a bar year before last and it was one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to. Food for thought this, food for thought!

EDIT - my band actually did a free surprise birthday gig (really only a few tunes) at a fan’s house a few years back. It was weird, but kind of cool. I’d happily do that sort of thing again, with a bit more planning.

Edited by 4000
  • Like 2

I went to a Francis Dunnery house gig a few years ago and it was ace.  It was a friend of a friend wanting to get a few more bums on seats and host was happy for me and my mate George to come along. 

Really enjoyed seeing and hearing Francis playing. I'm not mad about some of his astrology/philosophy stuff but his playing and his storytelling were top notch.

An unexpectedly cool little evening out.