Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Behemoth? Suggest a big crazy cab for us to add to the range! (And tell us why we should...)

alexclaber

I like to think that between the existing Super, Big and Retro10 cabs we have 99% of bass needs covered. However part of me wants to do something stupid, because we can! I already have a lot of ideas about what that could be but I'd like to hear from other bassists to see what they think.

P.S. We're probably not going to make an 8x15"! ;)

Not that stupid, but I'd love to see a 3x10 designed to be used vertically, e.g a compromise between a 2x10 and a 4x10 - something which sounds like an ampeg 8x10 but more appropriate size and portability for pub gigs.

Or, getting a bit sillier, a similar 3x12 or 3x15 ;)

an 18", a 12" and a selectable HF horn in the same cab.

I reckon that's the panacea speaker - covers everyone's frequency response needs (it'll handle dub thumps up to blistering high end slapping)

Also (whilst we're being stupid) a teasmaid round the back, obviously out of the way of the wiring, let's not get too silly.

Well, you [i]did[/i] say stupid… :P

Edited by paul_5

Guest Jecklin

Well I'm going to go in at the other end if the spectrum and perhaps apply the word behemoth ironically.

If you produced a tiny, powerful 1x8 or 1x6 cab that had the potential for serious output (relatively speaking of course) I would be very very interested.

The ultimate cab for jazz or electroacoustic scenarios, perhaps not purely aimed at bass instruments but with no problem catering for them as well.

Failing that then some sort of light weight folded horn cab, simply because they look so unusual against today's usual cabs. I'm aware this does limit the commercial aspect though.

[b][i]Not that stupid, but I'd love to see a 3x10 designed to be used vertically, e.g a compromise between a 2x10 and a 4x10 - something which sounds like an ampeg 8x10 but more appropriate size and portability for pub gigs.

Or, getting a bit sillier, a similar 3x12 or 3x15 ;)[/i][/b]

3x10" is a bit of an odd one in terms of impedance because you have to do all series or all parallel wiring, so it has to be a very high or very low impedance driver. We can get pretty much any driver made as a prototype so we can do one-offs if they're interesting enough but to go into production we then have to commit to bigger numbers of drivers (and have the space and cashflow to hold stock).

[b][i]an 18", a 12" and a selectable HF horn in the same cab.

I reckon that's the panacea speaker - covers everyone's frequency response needs (it'll handle dub thumps up to blistering high end slapping)[/i][/b]

The Big Twin 2 already does that. Find any bass guitar 1x18" and it'll flatten it!

[b][i]A lightweight version of the Mesa 1516, amazing cab IMO or something like the Virtue Cab From Tecamp where you can turn the speakers & Tweeters on and off for different voices.[/i][/b]

The Six10 can do more bottom than the 1516 and has a similar vibe higher up. The Virtue is an interesting one - is it not preferable to just have two or three different cabs?

[b][i]How about a copy of a Trace Elliot Bright box?[/i][/b]

This is not a behemoth! ;)

[b][i]Well I'm going to go in at the other end if the spectrum and perhaps apply the word behemoth ironically.

If you produced a tiny, powerful 1x8 or 1x6 cab that had the potential for serious output (relatively speaking of course) I would be very very interested.

The ultimate cab for jazz or electroacoustic scenarios, perhaps not purely aimed at bass instruments but with no problem catering for them as well.

Failing that then some sort of light weight folded horn cab, simply because they look so unusual against today's usual cabs. I'm aware this does limit the commercial aspect though.[/i][/b]

This is not a behemoth either! We spent quite a lot of time working on smaller drivers but found going down to an 8" was too costly in terms of output vs size. I think we're going to do a One10 which will be pretty small and should play louder than a lot of 1x12"s and some 2x10"s and 1x15"s. Lightweight folded horn could look cool but the mouth size tends to cripple them for bass guitar - great for big PA subs when you're using a large pile of them though. I wish horns made sense for bass but sadly they don't.

Since getting into active speakers I'm thinking about doing an open baffle design again for maximum acoustic vibe and feedback resistance.

[b][i]I want powered cabs, big ones, small ones.....so that old rack mount preamps can have nice new homes. A Barefaced powered version of the SWR Redhead format would get me quite excited.[/i][/b]

We have one powered cab now: [url="http://barefacedbass...range/FR800.htm"]http://barefacedbass...range/FR800.htm[/url]

If people buy it then we can do more!

[b][i]And back on topic...try an 8x8"...I never heard the SWR one, but people have told me they were great?[/i][/b]

The Henry 8x8 had the best name ever!

[b][i]Or how about a 6x6"[/i][/b]

It's interesting that quite a lot of people are suggesting lots of smaller drivers! The thing that I find frustrating with them is trying to get big excursion - the tighter radius of the surround really limits cone excursion unless you go for a much softer surround material. But a softer surround makes the driver much less robust as it's less well centred left to right/up/down within the magnet structure and the surround no longer acts to control excursion at the limits before anything gets broken. Of course you can go for less excursion but then you need even more drivers to give you enough cone area, so you need a bigger box and so on.

There's a distinct lack of BIG STUPID cabs amongst these suggestions... ;) Keep them coming!

My most bonkers one is a sealed active 6x12" which looks like a Big Twin 2 from the front but has two pairs of side-firing 12"s. Flat response to 20Hz anyone?

My serious suggestion would be a lightweight cab that can be used for bass and guitar. So a Barefaced version of the cab part of my Peavey Vypyr VIP 3.

My suggestion that I would seriously like to see (and hear) would be a Barefaced version of the Bad Cab. Make that lightweight Alex!
http://www.tech-soundsystems.de/TecAmp/index.php?id=111

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1429614229' post='2753129']
My serious suggestion would be a lightweight cab that can be used for bass and guitar. So a Barefaced version of the cab part of my Peavey Vypyr VIP 3.

My suggestion that I would seriously like to see (and hear) would be a Barefaced version of the Bad Cab. Make that lightweight Alex!
[url="http://www.tech-soundsystems.de/TecAmp/index.php?id=111"]http://www.tech-soun...ndex.php?id=111[/url]
[/quote]

These three are all really great for guitar modelling (in descending order of cost!)

http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/FR800.htm
http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/Big-Baby-2.htm
http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/Super-Midget.htm

The Bad Cab does amuse me! Does the name refer to the excellence of the design process? ;) We have some prototype 16 ohm 12XN drivers here so we can make a 4x12" that'll handle 3200W, weight about 80lbs and have 103dB sensitivity (107dB if you quote it Bergantino's new way... :P ) so that would compare favourably to the Bad Cab for output.

EA did a vertical 310. But not for long. I guess it didn't sell?

I have very little interest in big, and modular is the only way forward for me. I'd like a 210 with a 110 that would sit on the top, but I think Alex might explain that 2 Compacts already have that covered. How about a Retro 110 to sit on a Retro 210?

I'm not sure concentrating on loud and low is the only way to go. A big low end just has to be EQ'ed out in many of the gigs I do, so mid and low mid focused cabs are where my interest would be. If I want to go louder I'll add another cab.

How about a Retro 212 and a Retro 112 to sit on top?

[quote name='Grissle' timestamp='1429616903' post='2753192']A 6x10 or 8x10 with one of the columns of drivers low passed to decrease beaming?! I believe it could be done with great effect but it could take work.[/quote]

We already do that!

http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/Retro-Six10.htm