Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Behemoth? Suggest a big crazy cab for us to add to the range! (And tell us why we should...)

alexclaber

[quote name='onehappybunny' timestamp='1429818110' post='2755350']
Like the idea of a lightweight faux combo also. Most amp rack ear kits go to 19", so that would work
[/quote]

How about a modular combo with some sort of latching system so you could have any arrangement of castor/sacktruck wheel base layer, 1 or 2 (or more) 12" (or bigger) cabs, and then a 2U rack top for amp + tuner on the front and cable storage on the back?

Could be stripped down to fit in smaller cars or for carrying over awkward terrain, or clipped all together for a one trip load-in for places with better access.

Edited by stoo

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1429826260' post='2755445']
How about a modular combo with some sort of latching system so you could have any arrangement of castor/sacktruck wheel base layer, 1 or 2 (or more) 12" (or bigger) cabs, and then a 2U rack top for amp + tuner on the front and cable storage on the back?

Could be stripped down to fit in smaller cars or for carrying over awkward terrain, or clipped all together for a one trip load-in for places with better access.
[/quote]

Don't forget the sandwich toaster and coffee machine...

What about a 16 x 8?

You could have 3 vertical rows of 4 with the 2 outside rows filtered & put the other 4 above in pairs but angled out enough to increase the dispersion to reach almost right round the cab (making it virtually impossible to go off axis).

Basically a cab that can cover back line, foldback and fill a large venue for the gigs that have no PA for the bass to go through. Many of my gigs was like this.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1429631931' post='2753438']I'm assuming this isn't possible but another fun looking thing would be to have a cab where the magnets are sticking out of the cabinet to make more of a display of them, like you often see with subs in boy-racer cars.
[/quote]

We've had some sub designs in the works for a while and some of them are a bit like that!

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1429632570' post='2753451']
How about a tall, thin cab with upward facing sealed driver and multiple flared small ports acting like a line array?
[/quote]

Not sure I understand - please expand!

[quote name='symcbass' timestamp='1429633392' post='2753459']
Wish cab- barefaced 4x12 and the Faital tweet with the crossover designed specifically for plug n play slap upright bass please Alex :)
[/quote]

That's quite a cool idea! How would the crossover need to differ from the crossover in the Big Twin 2 to make it plug-n-play for upright slap? How about if that cab was active so you'd just run your preamp(s) into it?

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1429693705' post='2753925']
As for behemoth, what about a 6 x 12 that has the punch, response of 2 x 810 fridges and wide enough for that valve amp on top. 6 x Super Compacts in the same box?
[/quote]

A 4x12" with four 12XN drivers would handle 3200W, have 103dB sensitivity and have 2200cc Vd - very few pairs of 8x10"s could go louder! :D

[url="http://www.soundbroker.com/dynImage/?listingPicid=20377"]http://www.soundbroker.com/dynImage/?listingPicid=20377[/url]

If you've seen one of these things in the flesh. They're not the last word in clarity but they don't half make a din. Lifting not recommended.

But, as a light 4 x 12 and the addition of what? Another 12? For mid and top drive, and we're behemothically cooking.

Next stop? Danley Matterhorn. Does anyone make a lightweight shipping container? ;)

...er....212s and a 610??!! :P

Only thing I think is something that includes a crossover downlow and can put out 20hz or lower as part of the cab .....3 or 4 12s, horn/ waveguide for highs and a PA sub included for some mega mega lows...?

Id be interested in it but I prefere my current modular set up i think.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1429609893' post='2753055']
an 18", a 12" and a selectable HF horn in the same cab.
I reckon that's the panacea speaker - covers everyone's frequency response needs (it'll handle dub thumps up to blistering high end slapping)
[/quote]
+1 to this general idea. Like an SWR Triad only even better. And lighter. :)

Alex, I think you already have the building blocks for a Behemoth 412 rig if you double up either 2 Super Twins or 2 Big Twin 2's.

All you need is to create a box that contains your crossover and sit it between the amp and one of the cabs, and if using 2 BT2's turn off one of the compression drivers. All the player needs is a 2 ohm amp, an amp with 2 power amps or 2 daisy chained 4 ohm amps.

Slightly off topic but I've had many discussions with upright players who amplify their instrument about the best solution. Ive repaired numerous 2x10, 4x10 and 15 loaded cabs that have had their drivers turned inside out by over zealous use of a 500 watt amp and a double bass. I'm not an upright player myself but I think that there's definitely a market for a dedicated upright bass speaker cab.
On the behemoth side of things then defo a 4x12 that really works.

I think the key is having an active system on board to bring out the best of the cabinet qualities. So the cabinet, although not physically massive could contain a three way active system delivering subs to one driver, bass and mids to another then the last path driving the high frequency unit. For monstrous lows then drivers could be doubled up. This in theory would then give those who have asked for a 3x12 (which personally I think is a GREAT idea) that possibility. You'd not be worrying about impedance problems as each amplifier would be able to deliver to a load within it's capability.

Why not go crazy, two 12's for subs, two 12's for mids and bass and a high frequency unit up top - massive ports and sets of EQ presets on the back depending on application.

Now THAT is a behemoth cab :)

Could you build a cab for this driver that I found in the shed.

[URL=http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/BigBassdriver_zps46f2d1ba.jpg.html][IMG]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/gelfin5959/BigBassdriver_zps46f2d1ba.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1430229260' post='2759199']
2x15? Used to have a Bassman 135 with a 2x15. Fabulous old skool sound.
[/quote]

Barefaced Dubster fills that role rather well. With the 700W amplifier power I have available it is, as Rolls Royce stated about the Phantom V engine power output, "Adequate".

Edited by 3below