Why become a member? ×

Beef up Jazz bass tone

MarkG3

I need a bit of advice in terms of getting a better sound from my jazz bass, with the two volumes up to max I find that I like that sound however it really feels like it is lacking. I've tried backing off each of the pickups separately but I find it looses what I'm after. I've tried backing off the tone a bit too and it's still the same problem of lacking something.

It's a J&D Jazz, I use a micro ampeg cl so only has bass mid and treble controls and mainly play through my headphones. My G3 and other basses sound good through this set up and they don't seem to lack anything like the Jazz.

So what are my options here? Thanks :)

Edited by Mark_88MPH

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1429553938' post='2752566']
Raise the pickups nearer the strings. That usually gives a bass a bit of ooooomff!
[/quote]

Good advice. If that fails, in no particular order[list]
[*]Change string type
[*]Humbucking J type pickups e.g. DiMarzio DP123
[*]ten band graphic eq

might be possible solutions.
[/list]

Edited by 3below

I must admit that though I like the both pickups on Jazz sound, it never sounds beefy to me. More like articulate and musical. I`ve found the best way to get oommph from a Jazz is neck pickup on full, up the mids and lower the highs. Then add a slight bit bit of bridge pickup to give some clarity/bite.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1429554969' post='2752594']
Buy a P bass?
[/quote]

Or at least try one - see if you can borrow one for an evening.

If that's not your thang, then definitely try putting on a set of flatwound strings. That almost invariably beefs up the sound without necessarily changing the fundamental tone of the bass.

Flats are relatively expensive but they last for ever so they're good value in the long run. Again, see if you can borrow a bass fitted with flats first ... not everyone gets on with them.

If you're mainly playing at home, and through headphones, you really don't need to be faffing about with preamps, boosters and EQ pedals! :lol:

J&D are great value basses for the money, but even with new strings and tweaked set up, you might still find yourself wanting more Jazz oomph, and this would then come down to the pickups. Really depends how much time and money you feel is worth investing, or do you put this towards a new bass.

Edited by Drax

[quote name='Wotcher' timestamp='1429565115' post='2752759']
Try one with the S1 switch. Really adds another dimension
[/quote]

Good call, had forgotten about that, mine has the S1 and it really is like turbo-powering the 2 pickups when both on.

[quote name='Mark_88MPH' timestamp='1429553648' post='2752558']Its a J&D Jazz, I use a micro ampeg cl so only has bass mid and treble controls
So what are my options here? Thanks :)
[/quote]

I use a similar set-up with my J basses (including a J&D) and it is the main reason why I sold my Hartke LH500 amp. It was great and dead easy to use, but it lacked control over the midrange.

I then started off on a journey of amp discovery... (chronicled elsewhere but deeply frustrating!) which made me realise that most amps have their drawbacks, and lack of mids is just one of them!

I would definitely try to use/borrow/get an amp with either a graphic or parametric mids. Try it. Hopefully you'll find (like me) that there are plenty of mids to boost - as long as your cab doesn't swallow them up, that is!

BTW, I replaced the pickups on my J&D. Not because I felt that they needed upgrading (they didn't, IMO) but because one of them became faulty and I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of returning the bass to get the pickups checked and fixed or replaced. Although I replaced them with a pair of Toneriders (and added a KiOgon wiring loom), the "improvement" in tone is small and generally lost in a band mix.

There is nothing wrong (IMO) with the stock J&D pickups! :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1429554577' post='2752578']
I must admit that though I like the both pickups on Jazz sound, it never sounds beefy to me. More like articulate and musical. I`ve found the best way to get oommph from a Jazz is neck pickup on full, up the mids and lower the highs. Then add a slight bit bit of bridge pickup to give some clarity/bite.
[/quote]

And try and emulate a P...??? :lol: ;)

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1429568443' post='2752800']
A series/parallel switch mod. That's what the S1 switch was on some noughties Fender Jazzes.
Cheap mod that when in series will give you the oomph of a P bass.
[/quote]

This. I had a Jazz bass that had this (it was McNach's, then I bought it, he missed it so much I sold it back to him) and it was fantastic. Sound guys used to complement me on how good it sounded. No, really!

Beef is never a word I associate with jazz basses, sure you can change the sound with pre-amps etc... but the core tone of the bass will still want to be somewhere else. Rolling the tone back 1/3 or 1/2 of the way and taking the bridge pickup down by about an 1/8th will give you the most it's got raw but then...

I'd say you should either embrace the jazz as a tool for doing the specific sound they're good at or sell it & get something that's closer to start with.

EQs/pre-amps are definitely a useful tool though - I'm very happy with my DHA though everyone has their favourite.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1429554969' post='2752594']
Buy a P bass?
[/quote]
That sounds like good advice to me

I struggled with Jazz basses for a long time, mainly because I love the tone when playing at home but whenever I played live they just lacked "beef". I now play a Stingray...problem solved. If you don't like Stingrays or P basses what about a high end ibanez, something with EMG's or a Fender Jazz deluxe?

I'd start with a P bass or Stingray though.

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1429615295' post='2753155']I'd say you should either embrace the jazz as a tool for doing the specific sound they're good at or sell it & get something that's closer to start with.
[/quote]Wise words... :) I love my jazzes (and their sounds) but they are not for everyone.