Why become a member? ×

Tokai Hard Puncher

Glorianah

I've got an '84 Hardpuncher. It's one of the best precisions I've ever played. and heard. A lot of basses have come, and gone through the years. This one has stayed...
It has a lovely neck, 70's style narrower (B width) than the standard width neck, though not as narrow as a Jazz bass, and a deeper profile though not a bassball bat.
The standard pickups are not much cop IME. I've put a vintage Dimarzio in mine, plus CTS pots, PIO tone cap & switchcraft jack. I've slso swapped the original b/w/b pickguard for a nice tort one.
Here it is:

[url="http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/nickonbass69/media/84Tokai_zps73b20dc5.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by nick
  • Like 1

Wow, such a beautiful bass nick! :D How do you know/find out which year it is from? I'm guessing mine might be from the 80's aswell.. It's hard to find enough info online i think i've been surfing a bit about it. Just got this guitar from my uncle, he said i could sell it if i wanted to but i thik i will hold on to it for a while ^^

[quote name='Turnaround' timestamp='1429470691' post='2751710']
I've a real soft spot for 80s Tokai guitars and bass's. They're better than a lot of 70s Fenders and close to but ultimately only replicas of the 60s Fenders that inspired them. Excellent instruments though in every way.
[/quote]
I know they did replicas of 50's & 60's classic Fenders, but the neck on mine is closer to a 70's P-Bass

[quote name='Glorianah' timestamp='1429470881' post='2751712']
Wow, such a beautiful bass nick! :D How do you know/find out which year it is from? I'm guessing mine might be from the 80's aswell.. It's hard to find enough info online i think i've been surfing a bit about it. Just got this guitar from my uncle, he said i could sell it if i wanted to but i thik i will hold on to it for a while ^^
[/quote]
Thanks...I worked it out from the serial number & the logo shape. Check out the Tokai registry website, but I'd guess yours is maybe an 83/84 one. I'd keep it, get a decent pickup in it & you've got a killer P-bass there. B)

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1429470957' post='2751714']
Highly rated in the 80s at the time.
[/quote]
You know, I remember in the 80's a lot of people (wrongly) treated them as second rate to Fender, same as a lot of other Japcrap. TBH, I think Tokais as well as Grecos are now more highly regarded than back then IMHO.

Edited by nick

I don't know about this one but I've got an old Tokai jazz copy with Bartolini pickups which is my favourite bass ever - I've played lots of other much more expensive basses but nothing else quite does it. I've spoken to other bass players and had the same opinion: old Tokai's are great!

Had a fretless jazz and a fretted Candy Apple Red that I put a chrome scratchplate on. Both quality basses I should never have sold.
Thinking about the fretted one the other day, remember having a real good sound out of it. Rose tinted specs maybe but I found some old demos and live recordings and yes, it sounds the business alright.
I'd keep that OP if I were you.

My memory of the 80s is that [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Tokai was the brand that finally pushed Fender into the arms of Japanese manufacturers. I think the first Squires are actually re-bedged Tokais. In other words, 80s Tokais are actually early MIJ Fenders.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]P[/font][/color]

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1429535637' post='2752339']
Where can you buy a Tokai these days? I always hankered after a hard puncher.
[/quote]
All over the bay
Item 271843505560 or 291381310187 as examples

Think they are Chinese made now

Edited by Geek99