Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster 220

action_panzer

Eh up,

Recently acquired an Ashdown Rootmaster 220 - great sounding amp, love the warmth and vintage feel of it, HOWEVER - finding it a bit quiet. Admittedly only running it into one 2x10 cab, and as this is my first foray into heads and cabs, vaguely understand that I'm not unlocking all 220 watts doing this. So a couple of questions:

+ I'm running the amp at about 3 o'clock on volume to keep up - I know this SHOULDN'T kill the cab but long term would it affect the cab?
+ Would buying a second cabinet release much more volume? If so, great, happy to get another cab, if not, will have to switch for the 420 :)

Many thanks for your input!

Let your ears tell you if the cab is struggling. If you hear it not handling what you`re putting in then long-term you might damage it, but if you can`t hear any strange unwelcome noises then you should be fine. Adding another cab will make a big difference - not so much to the actual volume - aside from when you turn up more of course - but the size of the sound will be so much more present that you`ll probably find your current settings are more than enough. Long-term though, I`d look at both that 420 and the extra cab.

Hiya mate. I have a mibass 220 and it's fine for gigs with no PA support. I do however have a 4 ohm cabinet. I guess yours is 8 ohm? Getting another 8 ohm cab will make your load 4 ohm, thus getting the full power from the amp, as will using one 4 ohm cab. Hope this helps.